hi all,

just got my n900 today and love it. i immediately installed both firmware updates and a handfull of apps (from ovi store and extras repo, ie, no devel or testing packages).

the one complaint i have is some spotty unresponsiveness. i was wondering if anyone is experiencing similiar issues. it seems completely random, ie, there is no single thing i do when it happens. the system just hangs for 30-60 sec, the ui responds (button pressed response, eg, button color change), but nothing further happens. its seems as though something is sucking up the cpu in the background. also of interest, i havent run more than 5 programs at a time, so its not a side effect of having too many progs running.

any input??

thx,
pfoh

I've only encountered that once or twice but one of the key things is...

If you're installing a ton of apps and not on 1.1 firmware yet, make sure to reboot/poweroff occasionally to clear the icon cache so you're not filling your rootfs.

Also, if you have a lot of files on your device it could be the tracker process indexing them.

Since you "just got your n900" doublecheck you're on the newest firmware. That's always the best place to start.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
30-60s is way to much.
Have you checked you processes in xterminal with command top.

Shut down it and remove battery and boot up to see if it still hangs.

.edit
Also tun in terminal

df -h | grep rootfs

And copy paste output here.

df display the amount of available disk space for filesystems

| just continues command (in this case df -h) and returns df list to next command which in this case is grep rootfs which in this case takes from list only rows where rootfs is mentioned.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-22 at 21:29.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Many times when I check this it is because an indexer is running...

Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Many times when I check this it is because an indexer is running...
Sounds like something that really needs to be niced.

I have this problem, especially with incoming phone calls and alarms. All of the buttons on the screen are unresponsive and the phone just rings and rings and rings until the caller quits or the voicemail takes the call. Then I can immediately return the call and talk normally. A similar thing happens with alarms. I have all OS updates and just a few apps. I'm pressed for time so I can't be specific right now about the apps. Things like Bounce, Mirror, none of which are running. In fact nothing is running at all. I have all apps closed and the phone is dormant. It wakes with the incoming calls and is unresponsive. It is *very* frustrating. I keep looking for a Nokia bug being filed about this problem. I just cannot believe that I am the only one having problems with unresponsive Accept/Reject buttons on incoming phone calls.
-- Don

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dramsey30 View Post
I have this problem, especially with incoming phone calls and alarms. All of the buttons on the screen are unresponsive and the phone just rings and rings and rings until the caller quits or the voicemail takes the call. Then I can immediately return the call and talk normally. A similar thing happens with alarms. ...
Set phone truning control automatic and test that if it goes black when you are in landscape mode and someone rings.

Sounds really weird issue.

I tried with turning in automatic, both with the phone app running and in landscape mode and with the phone app not running at all and the screen turned off. In both cases the phone rang normally and the buttons were responsive. They work just fine about 80% of the time. When they misbehave it is seems to be in quiet places like my office -- and I can't make it stop ringing. Nothing I do will answer the phone or make it stop ringing. I wonder if reflashing the phone would have any effect?
-- Don

Since putting it in automatic turning mode I have found that I can hit the green Answer button on the screen as the screen flips from portrait to landscape or back again. No set pattern to which it responds though. It just seems to be paying attention to the buttons as the screen changes between modes. I still have the problem with alarm silencing and sometimes the phone is unresponsive when I first turn it on for a while. Like it is off doing something.
-- Don

Originally Posted by slender View Post
30-60s is way to much.
Have you checked you processes in xterminal with command top.

Shut down it and remove battery and boot up to see if it still hangs.

.edit
Also tun in terminal

df -h | grep rootfs

And copy paste output here.

df display the amount of available disk space for filesystems

| just continues command (in this case df -h) and returns df list to next command which in this case is grep rootfs which in this case takes from list only rows where rootfs is mentioned.
Thanks for the input, my rootfs has 57.3 MB remaining, so it seems Im not too hard pressed here. Just as an update, after a reboot the problem reduced SIGNIFICANTLY (prob shoulda tried this before posting ), though I still find myself pressing a button two or three times before I get a response occasionally.

Fortunately, my issue is not as serious as dramsey30's, so Im sorry I cant help you there. I do wish you luck though.