Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Hi,

I brought a new battery at the official Nokia Shop at amazon.de. Since I use this battery the level is constant at 100 percent. There is no difference also after hours of usage. Only a few second befor the devidce turns itself of because there is no power left it shows "battery empty" message and the symbol turns from the green full battery icon to th red "battery empty" icon. Tools like battery graph are showing a graph always at the same level.

Do you have an idea what I can do to get back the normal behaviour?

Thank you Uwe

Me on twitter

i have this problem with a cheap battery i got off ebay. havent found a fix

i think you got a fake battery. i too have bought a nokia battery from amazon (amazon=the seller), but it turns out to be fake. ie: full charge, than in an hour, it drops to 0%, and phone shuts down. so i returned it and bought another battery from nokia.com online store, and sure enough, this is the real deal. but at $70+ USD it better be.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
Originally Posted by bobbydoedoe View Post
i think you got a fake battery. i too have bought a nokia battery from amazon (amazon=the seller), but it turns out to be fake. ie: full charge, than in an hour, it drops to 0%, and phone shuts down. so i returned it and bought another battery from nokia.com online store, and sure enough, this is the real deal. but at $70+ USD it better be.
how much???
it only cost £19 in the uk

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
i think its fake. drop by at any nokia store near you to purchase a new one. it is a lot more expensive but the quality is great!

Originally Posted by matthew maude View Post
how much???
it only cost £19 in the uk
i think i paid $40 USD, so a little more than yours.

The Following User Says Thank You to bobbydoedoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
Originally Posted by bobbydoedoe View Post
i think i paid $40 USD, so a little more than yours.
you should look on ebay for a 2nd hand/damaged 5800

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Maryland, USA
I got one too from China in oem packaging and had exactly the same
problem. Fake, Fake, Fake!

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
There's no point in buying batteries from Ebay or Amazon anymore because there is almost no way of making sure they are real before receiving them. This is true for cell phones, laptops and everything else.

I bought a couple of laptop batteries for my old Sony Vaio laptop that claimed to be OEM, original, etc and they were fake. And no, I did not go for the cheapest ones, but the most expensive from sellers with a lot of positive feedback.

As a side note, the reason I stopped buying Sony laptops were their batteries. Replacement batteries from Sony are EXPENSIVE when compared to Asus for instance. And they don't last any longer in terms of both run time or longevity...

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have bought a number of fake batteries and none of them were as bad as the one the OP described. They don't last just an hour. If you buy a variety of cheap batteries, most of them will be decent, in my experience, and I have been doing this for years for my Nokia tablets.

Even with genuine batteries, the meters are notoriously unreliable.