Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Will GTK still be around even if not "promoted" over QT on Maemo 6?

I've grown accustom to GTK and I do, in fact, use it for cross-platform programming. I've run a GTK app that was meant for Linux/Windows and compiled it and ran it on my N900 with no problem.

I could care less about Symbian/Symbian Signed. Then again I'm not a million dollar corporation that Nokia caters to, so I don't matter all too much to Nokia to begin with.

If GTK is not going to be maintained by Nokia, I guess I'll have to make it into Extras. If that's the case, it is a real shame Nokia is leaving GTK in the dust after spending so much time on it. Money talks in the end I suppose.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mooninite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Qt and GTK are just going to switch places. So GTK will be community maintainted just like Qt is now. So GTK isn't going nowhere. At least that's the impression I got when they announced the change to Qt.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
We are in discussions with the GTK+ and Hildon maintainers to see how to help addressing this community support.

Yes, Nokia has invested a lot of time (and money) pushing GTK+ and Hildon to provide the amazing UI of Maemo 5. The fact of having this corporate time and money invested in another toolkit might indeed cause some trouble to GTK+. Then again, if by having one stakeholder less GTK+ in Maemo is left "in the dust" then imho it means that either GTK+, Maemo or both have deeper problems.

I'm frankly optimistic, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Then again, if by having one stakeholder less GTK+ in Maemo is left "in the dust" then imho it means that either GTK+, Maemo or both have deeper problems.
Sorry about that. I did not mean GTK the community I meant GTK on Maemo.

GTK the community will last a very long time. I was just concerned about the lifetime/support of GTK on Maemo.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I'd be sad to have it go as well. Simply because I prefer GTK apps over QT everywhere. I like how GTK does some things better than QT.

What would be nice is if there could be an intermediate UI library that everyone would use and then have the final user selectable UI on top... be it either GTK, QT or whatever else one might want. Probably harder to do than not. Atleast effciently.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If there is a strong GTK+ community and there is a strong Maemo community then there will be a strong GTK+ support in Maemo no matter what.

If you fear GTK+ in Maemo being left in the dust you are problably fearing in fact 1 or 2 communities growing some dust in the future. I don't think this is going to happen and this is why I'm optimistic about GTK+ community support in Maemo 6.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Me too like GTK+ over QT in much cases. For instance i use Gnome as my desktop as i like it more than KDE. I am not sure 100% but the GTK+ have a bigger user base.

My views might change in the future.. but right now if would not use a OS that uses mainly QT.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I'm a gnome & linux user and I prefer the gnome desktop to KDE.

However, after compiling the QT demos for my laptop and playing with the sample software - all I can say is wow!

QT 4.x seems to be miles ahead that GTK. There is a lot of "tech" in the QT library (native open gl support, webkit-based widgets) and feels much more coherent then GTK.

I think Nokia have made the right decision especially when the next firmware update (1.2) will include it.

(How much more space will the new firmware need now that QT is officially included?)

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
(How much more space will the new firmware need now that QT is officially included?)
Depends on whether you've already got Qt4.5 installed or not. If so, there should be little change (as that's now being removed), otherwise it'll be quite a chunk extra needed.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Depends on whether you've already got Qt4.5 installed or not. If so, there should be little change (as that's now being removed), otherwise it'll be quite a chunk extra needed.
The following was in Maemo news:

Originally Posted by Stephan Jaensch
Some welcome news for all Qt on Maemo developers out there: Nokia intends to deploy the currently in Beta Qt 4.6 to all devices via software update — most probably already with the next major update PR1.2. Currently, Qt 4.6 (available from extras-devel) is completely optified and resides in /opt/qt4-maemo5. That will change with PR1.2, where it will move to the rootfs, replacing the community-supported Qt 4.5. What does this mean for Qt applications?
  • Qt 4.6 applications: If all goes well, nothing needs to be done. Deployed applications should pick up the libraries in /usr. You might need to edit your build scripts so they won’t look in /opt/qt4-maemo5/bin if you’re using qmake.
  • Qt 4.5 applications: This one is trickier. Qt 4.6 is neither API nor ABI compatible with Qt 4.5. This means that you’ll need at least a recompile, and probably also source code modifications if you’re doing anything Maemo5-specific. Qt 4.5 applications on device will stop working until there is a Qt 4.6-based update available.
So all you Qt 4.5 users out there, install libqt4-maemo5-dev in scratchbox and start porting.