Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Unless some Chinese or South-Korean cell phone maker buys Nokia out for its patents and Navteq, breaks the contract with Microsoft and pays the penalty ~2 Bn€.
It would hit Microsoft hard.
M$ would NEVER let that happen.

Registered Linux user #266531. Android user since v1.0.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by specc View Post
What options does nokia have?
Symbian? Too late, all bridges are blown by Elop
Maemo? Too late, all bridges are blown by Elop
WP? Going downhill at an increasing rate
Meltemi? Is there even such a thing?
S40? Could be OK for short term low end, but not for very long.
Android? Works for everyone else, why not for Nokia?
Tizen? Could work, but high risk.
Symbian: Believe it or not but Symbian is not dead yet. Give life again to Symbian by announcing more support for Symbian. Symbian is still market leader in many countries. Symbian Belle FP1 is great. Release more devices with it and with N8's camera with a reasonable price to attract more customers. Leave PureView and 41mp for high end devices.

Maemo-Meego: Still there is hope. fire Elop and return back to old strategy. And release more MeeGo/Maemo based devices to masses.

WP: Leave windows phone. Its already failing everywhere.

Meltemi: If there is a really Meltemi OS in works better release it now. Make devices with it and with specs like Low end Android devices or with better specs. and also make it better from Android+more eye fancy and eye catching than Android. It will kick every low end android device out of the market.

S40: S40 is doing pretty well in low end range. If Meltemi will take too much time in completion then Put some multi-tasking in S40 and release it with hardware's like Asha 303's one.

Android: Not every one like android. and for Nokia if they choose Android they will loose Navteq (Maps) as google will never allow Nokia to use their own maps in Android and their Store also will be lost.

Tizen: Tizen is still pretty new. If Samsung uses the same hardware with Tizen that they used in SGS III then Tizen will be a hit. It only needs development which Samsung and Intel doing pretty well. and also it now can run Android apps.

Just fire Elop and return to old strategy then everyone will be back to Normal.

Sorry for my bad english

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post

Sorry for my bad english
There is penalties in the Microsoft+Nokia contract, so it will cost a lot Nokia to break it. It is not so simple. Microsoft and Elop played that thing cleverly and Nokia's general board were either sleeping, hypnotized or just simply stupid.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
There is penalties in the Microsoft+Nokia contract, so it will cost a lot Nokia to break it. It is not so simple. Microsoft and Elop played that thing cleverly and Nokia's general board were either sleeping, hypnotized or just simply stupid.
As Elop was a very significant M$ shareholder at the time he signed that deal I'm sure a new CEO would want to test the validity of the agreement in court, especially in the light of every decision he's made subsequently being to the benefit of M$ and to the detriment of NOKIA.

didn't notice it a few months ago when i 1st saw it, but...
in The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) a NOKIA shop stays out prominently (even though completely statically).
no way it could have happened without NOKIA agreeing to it.
maybe there is still some magic left?!?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Android: Not every one like android. and for Nokia if they choose Android they will loose Navteq (Maps) as google will never allow Nokia to use their own maps in Android and their Store also will be lost.
I've seen this, or similar "Google would never allow a similar app" arguments, at least a couple of times on here before. I don't understand where this comes from. Where did you read that Google would never allow that? Where have you seen such a trend? I can point out to you at LEAST a few examples of exactly the opposite: Verizon replaces Google search/maps/etc with Bing, Amazon's Kindle Fire replaced the Android Market/Play store with their own, Nook's devices (even my eInk Nook Touch) all run on Android and NONE of them have the Android Market/Play store, etc. So far, I haven't seen Google make even a PEEP about it much less try to stop that behavior. In fact, near as I can tell, they're quite happy to let anybody customize their operating system.

Is there a reason why Nokia couldn't have their own crappy store for Android and put out their own customized maps application? Hell--any reason why they can't just make both of those available to ANYONE's devices, even not their own, just to profit from store sales and ads on their Navteq map application? I'm pretty sure Android would save their butts *AND* it wouldn't exclude them from doing other things as well *AND STILL* even then make a profit (as Amazon did even before the Kindle Fire) with their own app store on devices they didn't even make.

Please, share what you know. As far as I can tell, Nokia are myopic, mental midgets for not at LEAST considering Android in addition to, or instead of, Microsoft's offering but I get the feeling that was the whole point of putting Balmer's poop-eating grinning lapdog in as the new CEO.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
didn't notice it a few months ago when i 1st saw it, but...
in The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) a NOKIA shop stays out prominently (even though completely statically).
no way it could have happened without NOKIA agreeing to it.
maybe there is still some magic left?!?
It's called 'product placement' and Nokia likely helped to pay some small part of the film's production for that placement. Similarly, you can prominently see 'ATARI' in the background of the epic classic Bladerunner. It hardly stands as much reason to think that ATARI made it that far into the future when we all know the company that Nolan Bushnell created back in the 70's pretty much disappeared sometime in the early 90's and what's left are bits and pieces here and there owned by various companies with the Atari Corp name sold to Infogrames Interactive and the Atari Games name sold to WMS (Williams/Bally/Midway). That company, the one that made it into Bladerunner, is gone. Dispersed out into component pieces somewhere out there in the world. I suspect, at this rate, the same might be said for Nokia soon.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-05-23 at 04:10.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Your lovely Symbian just sank Nokia brand from being 20 or so in 2009 to being nothing thereafter.....

http://brandirectory.com/league_tabl...lobal-500-2012

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Your lovely Symbian just sank Nokia brand from being 20 or so in 2009 to being nothing thereafter.....

you got that one nearly right
you should have written
Flop & m$'s crappy product... :|

EDIT: Symbian is actually the last chance for NOKIA to turn it around and have a future

Last edited by misterc; 2012-05-23 at 04:43. Reason: Symbian....

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Symbian: Believe it or not but Symbian is not dead yet. Give life again to Symbian by announcing more support for Symbian. Symbian is still market leader in many countries. Symbian Belle FP1 is great. Release more devices with it and with N8's camera with a reasonable price to attract more customers. Leave PureView and 41mp for high end devices.

Maemo-Meego: Still there is hope. fire Elop and return back to old strategy. And release more MeeGo/Maemo based devices to masses.

WP: Leave windows phone. Its already failing everywhere.

Meltemi: If there is a really Meltemi OS in works better release it now. Make devices with it and with specs like Low end Android devices or with better specs. and also make it better from Android+more eye fancy and eye catching than Android. It will kick every low end android device out of the market.

S40: S40 is doing pretty well in low end range. If Meltemi will take too much time in completion then Put some multi-tasking in S40 and release it with hardware's like Asha 303's one.

Tizen: Tizen is still pretty new. If Samsung uses the same hardware with Tizen that they used in SGS III then Tizen will be a hit. It only needs development which Samsung and Intel doing pretty well. and also it now can run Android apps.

Sorry for my bad english
Almost what I want to say.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post

If you buy into that kind of 'analysis' NOKIA are still a very big brand in Asia:

Personally I see sales figures as rather more concrete evidence and sales of Symbian devices were huge and still growing prior to Elop's brain fart.

I understand if you extrapolate what NOKIA were doing before Elop's execution of Symbian and compare that to what they are doing now you have a deficit of around 70 million devices so far.

Even if Symbian was the problem WP7 clearly isn't the solution.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows