Poll: What is the best time for you ?
Poll Options
What is the best time for you ?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Is it really disabled? (source)

edit: or is it really enabled? (source) (I have no idea)
Well, you've flashed the latest firmware image, you saw its disabled state, right?

And: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3279#c5

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, you've flashed the latest firmware image, you saw its disabled state, right?

And: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3279#c5
Not really because somebody flashed it for me and he forced me to make a backup but thanks for the source!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Is it really disabled? (source)

edit: or is it really enabled? (source) (I have no idea)
Last word I had from Quim was that it was going to ship disabled but they might change that in PR 1.1. . . .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
300 people got N900s at Summit and apparently aren't interested in helping at all. Incredible.
Priorities. Right now finding, reporting and triaging official platform/apps bugs is much more important, because once the thing is released it'll be months before we see an update. Extras on the other hand are much more flexible.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Priorities. Right now finding, reporting and triaging official platform/apps bugs is much more important, because once the thing is released it'll be months before we see an update. Extras on the other hand are much more flexible.
Your response makes sense until you realize it just takes seconds to vote on packages anyway. Also, end users don't want to pick up their new phone and see nothing but opensshd being the only app they can install.

Believe me, I fully understand the importance of testing and filing bugs - look at my maemo.org profile - and if it took any longer than a few seconds to vote, I'd fully agree.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-20 at 19:29.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
btw, the sooner we decide on a day, the more chance people will have to prepare their apps for that day.
i've chosen the saturday partly because everyone else has, and partly because then it gives a couple of extra valuable days for developers test/debug things themselves so we get as many through as possible.

daniel, will the servers cope with a burst of activity?
As long as some one like me doesn't have to resubmit something like LIBICU42. A almost 2 hour build time for the Armel port. ;-) At least the x86 version is only about 30 minutes. But 2.5 hours for a single package to be built would kill some serious productivity on the "party" day.

Nathan.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I guess it also doesn't help that the interface is somewhat confusing. Be sure you're clicking on the particular version of the package you are testing so that you can give it a thumbs up...
Yes, I've just been thinking that it would be wonderfully helpful if the Extras-testing armel version of a package was more prominent than the others. That's the one most people are expected to rate, but it's lumped (in apparently random order) in with three other very similar links.

I'm fairly certain I mistakenly rated the i386 version of Hermes the first time I ventured into the system, and I know very well the difference between i386 and ARMEL and where each is used. It's just far too easy to follow the wrong link.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
it just takes seconds to vote on packages anyway
Please don't do that - either test properly (which takes time) and then vote, or not at all.

Also, end users don't want to pick up their new phone and see nothing but opensshd being the only app they can install.
With my "end user" hat on, I prefer a stable working system first, even if it means waiting another couple of weeks for extras. But that's just me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Yes, I've just been thinking that it would be wonderfully helpful if the Extras-testing armel version of a package was more prominent than the others. That's the one most people are expected to rate, but it's lumped (in apparently random order) in with three other very similar links.

I'm fairly certain I mistakenly rated the i386 version of Hermes the first time I ventured into the system, and I know very well the difference between i386 and ARMEL and where each is used. It's just far too easy to follow the wrong link.
Yes, at first it's a bit confusing, but after some time there you learn to avoid the noise ;-)

My use of it now, it's go here: http://maemo.org/packages/repository...xtras-testing/

And press the version number, it will go to the right place where you should vote and comment.

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Some experience about testing apps in wxtras testing.

It takes at least for me quite a long time see if app is really working properly. I will not give app thumb up only for installing correctly and running. I see that there should be entry for app in bugzilla etc. It should also be possible to remove app without any problems and big files left behind. I have given few thumb ups only on few applications and filled some bugs for some of them. This all have taken already hours to do for few apps.

For example as simple application as password safe had some bugs and usability issues so I haven't yet given it thumb up but as it's working I'm bit hesitant to give it thumb down as some other testers might see it already good candidate for extras.

Many apps in the extras testing needs in my opinnion some love before they are ready for extras even if there are no any bugs on them. I would like that extras is for apps that are really good and not just quick ports.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mve For This Useful Post: