Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
You need root rights to alter the config files of privoxy on the N800. (search for 'becomeroot' on this board )
I did it sometime ago, but haven't got the time to look into it now.
It wasn't that hard though.

Maybe someone else can provide the needed info?
I've already got root access (My N800 is in r&d mode). I'll install an ssh server when I get home on my network. It'll be easier to fiddle with config files from my desktop pc.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
[off topic alarm]
Well, I answered the original question a few times already. So I thought a short 'Privoxy...' will get him going. The other option was not to answer at all.
If someone is capable of using a N800 he sure can find Privoxy on this board or the next...
[/off topic alarm]

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jwhelan View Post
What the majority of "search and you shall find" people don't always get is that one person can search for something for days, but if they aren't looking for the exact same thing someone who knows the answer would, they don't always find the right answer...

Now having said that, I'm not saying you CANNOT find the answer EVENTUALLY, but its just as easy to answer the question sometimes than to suggest someone search in a rude manner...

I am also not saying one shouldn't try to find the answer themselves, nor should they expect to be babied, but people need to understand not all answers are easy to find...

lets not turn this into a flame war, but let us all try to be friends and make this community better for ALL, theres no sense in being rude to those that are new, and acting as if you are better than everyone else just because you figured something out that someone else is struggling with...
Well put Jason!

If there's already a good thread on the subject a link to this is all that's often required, maybe adding a "found this by searching..." This is much more productive than just a "search it" response, as we're pointing each other in the right direction and advising on search criteria used.

As you said we should all remain focused on the positive and friendly community spirit that has shaped this forum into what it is today. And I hear Reggie has helped a little too!

I'm not really the right person to throw the word "privoxy" at I loathe the program. It's unnecessarily complicated and unfriendly. I'm only putting the effort in for it on the N800 because there's nothing else available.

In an ideal world Privoxy would shrivel up and never bother me again but we don't always get what we want

I would appreciate it if you could try to remember what you did to turn off those messages though. If I turn off fit to width Eurogamer becomes useable again but I'd rather ditch them altogether. Pretty please

Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
I would appreciate it if you could try to remember what you did to turn off those messages though. If I turn off fit to width Eurogamer becomes useable again but I'd rather ditch them altogether.
I will look into it.

Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
Pretty please
The're no need for that, I was just busy earlier, hence my (very) short initial answer. I thought it would get you going. Later I had to explain it was a search proposal, but my initial answer was not meant to be rude in any way.

OK. First let's look what's getting blocked on eurogamer:

http://195.157.98.219/adframe.php?n=ab7bf18e&zoneid=13
and
http://195.157.98.219/adframe.php?n=a8bf5003&zoneid=14.

Which are ads. I think that's a good thing. All else is displayed fine on my device.
As this is standard behavior, I don't think we can do something about that.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
The search was on Greasemonkey. If you find my personal way of being helpful "insulting", then it's best we both do without it.
Whats easier, posting the link and being helpfull or telling someone to do a search?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
There's always a modified hosts to stop it before you download it, and the ad-blocking CSS will generally improve flow and get some ads that the hosts file misses.

These solutions are pretty brain-dead, so they're basically failure-proof, and don't require mucking around with privoxy (which was entirely too crashtastic the last time I tried it).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Whats easier, posting the link and being helpfull or telling someone to do a search?
(I speak from experience here) Telling someone to do a search.

Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
OK. First let's look what's getting blocked on eurogamer:

http://195.157.98.219/adframe.php?n=ab7bf18e&zoneid=13
and
http://195.157.98.219/adframe.php?n=a8bf5003&zoneid=14.

Which are ads. I think that's a good thing. All else is displayed fine on my device.
As this is standard behavior, I don't think we can do something about that.
What puzzles me is why it's displaying the text for those 2 ads but not for any of the others? What's different about them?