Active Topics

In my opinion (based on my continuous experience) hardly any touch smartphone is suitable for elderly person older than 70 (may be 75, it depends...). For elderly person it's quite difficult even to touch the display in the right place with the right strength, to swipe, to avoid unwanted touches, to use virtual keyboard (N9 has quite small LCD and thus also small virtual keyboard) etc. Much more better is any dumbphone with big and enough spaced physical buttons with big letters/numbers and good tactile feedback. Also:
- dumbphone lasts daaaaaaaaaaays before the charger is needed, i.e. no need to remember to charge every (second) day + mind also that connecting the charger may be quite difficult for elderly person particulary using the ***** micro USB (solution may be a charging/docking station) + opening the N9 micro USB door must be nightmare for elderly people
- dumbphone is usually much more shockproof (yes, elderly people unintentionally drop things on the floor) and spare LCDs and other spares are much more cheaper and are usually quickly and easy replaceable
- dumbphone software is usaually much more foolproof, no unwanted silent mode or flight mode, no weird problems and no need to ask anybody to solve it. I really like my N9 but sometimes something really weird occurs and it's necessary to find the solution.

Also, the old resistive touch LCDs may be better for elderly person, because more strength is needed (i.e. less unwanted touches) and also the nail can be used for touching the screen. Good trade-off may also be old Nokia "touch&type" devices having both resistive LCD and physical keyboard (but with small numbers and letters...).

Just mi point of view, being some kind of telco consultant/serviceman for more elderly people in my family for years :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
In my opinion (based on my continuous experience) hardly any touch smartphone is suitable for elderly person older than 70 (may be 75, it depends...).
Hardly any >70yrs person uses Internet and the person we're talking about does
They can always go back to the dumbphone if they don't like it.

Being the family's technical support: that's my case too

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
You could try ProfileMatic, use a WLAN condition and custom action when connected.
From the ProfileMatic OP

PR1.3: Condition: "Internet connection" does not work if either "Allow background connections" is off, or "Power Saving mode" is on. This seems to be N9 platform bug.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
You will need to script something changing the gconf value for the/all connections and put it as icon on home screen.
I'm totally fine with simply setting "energy save mode" ON in Settings > Phone > Battery and all connections required open and close upon app-request, at least it does for me, not using any PM or cloud services though (unless the charger gets connected, then everything fires up...).

Profilematic is definetely something you should check, it has huge potential (possibly inform you if this or that).
Worst case you can create scan tags for her to put here and there...

EDIT 1: need to check app behaviour too then, ofc.

EDIT 2:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
From the ProfileMatic OP
PR1.3: Condition: "Internet connection" does not work if either "Allow background connections" is off, or "Power Saving mode" is on. This seems to be N9 platform bug.
Awkward, missed that.
Current Maemo Community Council member

Last edited by Win7Mac; 2016-08-10 at 21:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
If I remember correctly, many apps on N9 don't support landscape and the screen is such small that the portrait keyboard is quite difficult to type on. No tips or tricks to offer, but it might be a deal-breaker.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Although for Android this article might give you some useful ideas...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/larger-...ly-tech-savvy/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
As far as I see, either wlancond or wps_ui is responsible for showing up the connection prompt.

Can we modify the dbus configuration, so that when a dbus signal is sent to com.nokia.wlancond a script is run?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
As far as I see, either wlancond or wps_ui is responsible for showing up the connection prompt.

Can we modify the dbus configuration, so that when a dbus signal is sent to com.nokia.wlancond a script is run?
You can add a dbus listener (in Python with add_signal_receiver) with a script like this:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

import gobject, dbus
from dbus.mainloop.glib import DBusGMainLoop

#def handle_sms(sendernumber):
#    print 'Got New Message.'
#    print 'New message from %s' % sendernumber

def handle_sms2(event):
    print 'Got new event.'
#    print 'New event message %s' % event
    print 'First event element %s' % event[0][0]
    print 'First event element date  %d %d %d' % event[0][2][0]
    print 'First event phone number %s' % event[0][12]
    print 'First event message %s' % event[0][15]

print 'Setting up listener . . .'
DBusGMainLoop(set_as_default=True)
print 'Getting System Bus . . .'
#Aha, needs to be SessionBus on N9 see https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95876
bus = dbus.SessionBus()
#print 'Adding signal receiver . . .'
#bus.add_signal_receiver(handle_sms, path='/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/ring/tel/ring/text30', dbus_interface='org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Messages', signal_name='MessageReceived')
print 'Adding event receiver . . .'
bus.add_signal_receiver(handle_sms2, path='/CommHistoryModel', dbus_interface='com.nokia.commhistory', signal_name='eventsAdded')
print 'Running main loop'
gobject.MainLoop().run()
print 'done'
Excuse the dust, this is a WIP that's never been cleaned up. Really just proves the concept that I can receive and do something with a received SMS.

It does not prevent other processes from getting that message. In this case, SMSs are still processed normally.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Is there any easier way than this? http://nokiamobileblog.com/how-to-in...your-nokia-n9/
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, that's how I did it.
That article was updated with
My messaging application has been crashing after I increased the font size, so I had to flash back in order to read some text messages I could not open.
So how exactly to proceed here without bricking the N9?
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
So how exactly to proceed here without bricking the N9?
What about via QuickTweak?
https://nokiaindependent.wordpress.c...ssages-app-n9/

R = Conversation MOD Option 3 Enlarge/Restore conversation font size

Original TMO:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80600

Last edited by aspergerguy; 2016-08-19 at 17:28. Reason: Update

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post: