Interesting changes:
- nscd - simple dns caching - should speed up Internet browsing
- more development packages, libxslt, libgdbm
- many fixes/changes related to input methods

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Nokia has released a new firmware update to OS2008. Maemo.org is reporting that this release (v2.2007.51-3) fixes the following bugs:    2417 No includes for libapt-pkg (aka libapt-pkg-dev)     2917 libgdbm-dev is reported missing with chinook's apt-get     2766 Missing libxslt1-dev in chinook     2901 Can't install blues-utils-tools on current n810.Reports from Internet Tablet Talk members however say that the only thing this update fixes is the power-on problem. It looks like however that this update is more for the developers, as indicated at Maemo.org and from the release notes and from the Maemo 4.0 to 4.0.1 comparison table. Links: Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard for the PC Nokia N810 Firmware image Nokia N800 Firmware image
Read the full article.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Anyone know what firmware the Maemo 4.0 refers to? My take is that it is not the 50-2... but some earlier (first?) Chinook release.

Assuming that's correct, then the change log listed would make sense.

Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
I just installed 51-3 last night, and my internal Transcend 16GB SDHC would not longer be recognized this morning. The only thing I have done since was to set up my voipbuster account.
Yikes, this is exactly why I started this thread. I have a 16GB SDHC too (although a different brand). Is anyone else experiencing this kind of thing? :/

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
No problem here !

restore was a nightmare (mainly because app manager is - wants to refresh constantly, bothers me about agreeing to licenses).

All my web browser addins (greasemonkey, flashblock, etc) are broken.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I believe the updated packages are only to bring the SDK inline with the latest ITOS release (which, in this case, is essentially 50-2), so there's no packages being updated with 51-3. I could be wrong, though.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
There is another very confusing announcement on maemo.org today :

http://maemo.org/news/announcements/..._released.html

On the one hand it is about the Maemo SDK : "Nokia has released the maemo 4.0.1 SDK in order to match the content with the OS2008 image released earlier this week." (which itself was not annouced there BTW).

On the other hand it is about the new firmware images : "About the new OS2008 image (OS 2008 version 2.2007.51-3 for Nokia N800 and OS 2008 version 2.2007.51-3 for N810): There have been problems in oscillator initialization timings in some devices causing problems in booting up the devices. This release fixes the problem and there should not be booting problems any more. The content of the image is just the same as the previous release".

On the gripping hand, if you click on the "content comparison table" between the Maemo 4.0 and 4.0.1 SDKs :
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/4.0.1/4...omparison.html

...you'll find there are *a lot* of updated packages, and even some new ones.

There probably is a logical explanation for this, but it does escape me ATM.
I believe OS2008 50.2 was already 4.0.1.

4.0 was the first OS2008 beta.

As an example, the version of osso-gpsd in 4.0.1 is 1.0.25. 50.2 had the same exact version.

The Following User Says Thank You to ag2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Yeah GeneralAntilles is right.
The Maemo.org announcement is clear on this topic, no other bug has been fixed in this release. Whatever people are reporting here is, to me at least, for sure due to the clearing of settings after the re-flashing.

About the new OS2008 image [...] [T]his release fixes the problem and there should not be booting problems any more. The content of the image is just the same as the previous release (OS 2008 version 2.2007.50-2 for Nokia N800 and OS 2008 version 2.2007.50-2 for Nokia N810).

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
While playing slant on my newly 51-3 updated N800 I've seen a few "phantom screen touches" - i.e. the game has reacted as if I have touched a different part of the screen to where my stylus actually is. I've also had one or two occasions when a different app (picture viewer or browser) has jumped to foreground unexpectedly. Whether this is a side-effect of 51-3 or a coincidental hardware problem I cannot say. Has anyone else seen this happening?