Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Color me skeptical. Intel hasn't yet managed to implement decent power-management, and I don't see what changed now.

And anyways, ARM already has good power management. If Intel wants to succeed, they need to differentiate and be different.
You mean ABI compatibility with desktops and netbooks?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
There's no way MSFT would have partnered with Nokia in the first place if they were still externally promoting Meego as anything other than a research project with potential in the future.
There's the rub. Nokia never really promoted MeeGo nor Maemo when it was in production.

If Intel wants to succeed, they need to differentiate and be different.
You should write them. I think they'll want to know this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Dr. Drips View Post
meego.com is acting weird asking password
Thanks, reported as a bug (https://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13514). Hopefully they will fix this ASAP, as it doesn't give a good impression...

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Small bug as they're adding functionality to the website, hardly major news ...

Sorry if this post is a bit late, so seems pointles. I couldn't stay online before cos I was only in 2G. (F****** Vodafone network).

I don't mean to p*ss on the bonfire, but don't Intel have their own mobile chip, for the purpose of developing MeeGo? The Atom CPU I think it's called.
Of course they may release an ARM version (the first public release, so to speak) just to see how it's received in the market.
Then if it's successful, maybe they'll switch to ATOM from then on.

Just my thoughts on this.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
You should write them. I think they'll want to know this.
Read Intel's press releases and documentation. All that I'm saying here I gleaned from official Intel statements, not the other way around.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
You mean ABI compatibility with desktops and netbooks?
ABI compatibility and horsepower. (If you want to run Latex or Nginx on your phone -- you now can. That is a unique proposition.)

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Good Lord above, did you even try reading my post??

It's exactly what I've been saying in this thread!

The point is that MeeGo is an Intel project, and Intel has serious, pressing business needs as to why MeeGo needs to succeed.

Nokia's foray into Linux were only half-assed attempts at playing along with Intel, that much is clear now. Nokia never knew why or how they should approach Linux.
Yes I did read your post, you a**hat. Meego is still primarily Intel and Nokia. Your comment about "Nokia's foray into Linux" prove your ignorance. Errrr..... what is Maemo (that has been around for at least 5 years at Nokia)? Is is not based on Debian Linux? Go ahead, I'm waiting for your next brilliant comment.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Yes I did read your post, you a**hat. Meego is still primarily Intel and Nokia. Your comment about "Nokia's foray into Linux" prove your ignorance. Errrr..... what is Maemo (that has been around for at least 5 years at Nokia)? Is is not based on Debian Linux? Go ahead, I'm waiting for your next brilliant comment.
Let's see: Nokia fiddled around with Linux for 5 years, and in the end all they had to show for it is one single device, with a proprietary Linux distribution, discontinued after one year of production, and with zero chance of making another device?

A headless chicken could have done better.

Nokia were never really serious about Linux in the first place.

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:

Tags
its just a fail, stop dreaming, windelnkiabumby