Poll: By the time MeeGo is released, will you buy a new phone?
Poll Options
By the time MeeGo is released, will you buy a new phone?

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
No, why would I?
The N900 does (and will do for a few years) what I need. Besides, I don't like the buzz about capacitive screens and stuff. And I'd like to survive the whole misery about MeeGo and its weak branding.

BTW, the moment MeeGo surpasses Maemo 5, I'll update.

But I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
I'm waiting till 2013.
So if it's really the end of the world, in 2012, I don't have to bother.
I'm beginning to think the world will end by Chuck Norris releasing a harmattan/meego device in 2012..

But back to topic, the N900 is far from outdated I think, and most of it's potential is still to come. Just wait and see while 1.2 comes out, QT will easily double the app fun, not to mention dual booting different OS'es in the future (at least Android or other linux-based ones) And of course 1.3 or Meego after that.

Thusfar I am really happy with my n900 now, only thing bothering me is waiting to get my hands on the 1.2 =D

Last edited by blipnl; 2010-05-04 at 10:35. Reason: dumb spelling

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Getting rid of the N900 as soon as I have some spare cash, in favour of something HTC related. They just work, with supported hardware and common features out the box. (MMC, inbox) Won't be touching windows 7 and apple is too restricted, so it will most likely be android.

Once done I won't be looking Nokia's way for anything phone related (The N900 isn't a 'phone', must remember that) never mind OS related. Given the lack of support for Maemo from Nokia (community support isn't Nokia, 1 firmware in 6 months isn't support, the Ovi store isn't support) I can't see Meego as anything but "More of the same". Nokia needs to seriously invest in developers, getting a team of them on Maemo and Meego, churn out the apps, get a phone that does all it can, (like using the on board video calling camera out the box) Only then would I even consider the possibility of giving some time to the thought that I might think about reading the review of their latest handset.

I am shocked at how many people actually think what you got in the N900 is good. Life is happily still full of wonder.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I'm shocked you're shocked.

What I wanted in the N900 is the N900, as in, a portable computer, with OS, that doubles as a phone, mainly because now I don't have to use the blasted PS Suite that never works right to back up. I knew I'd get VNC on it before I get MMS. And I assumed it's get OpenTTD before I get conference call.

I also wanted a touchscreen, a nice resolution and a keyboard. I have those, and plenty of it.

I didn't get stuff I simply imagined I'd get in a month, like a full bug patch, or in 2-3, like a nice app base, but that's another story.

If you wanted an HTC, no wonder you're disappointed. N900 isn't a lemon. What's lemony is Nokia's attitude towards me, I never expected a flagship-class device to go unpatched for so long. And when I did complain back in January about Nokia's FY attitude towards patching I got all kinds of people like forum elders (relatively) and people with Nokia knowledge that assured me they are fixing bugs faster than a Raid spray and Maemo is forever.

But I'm not turning this into another PR XX whine. Suffice to say, I like the device, dislike the people behind it. Not regretting the purchase. Will rethink buying strategy next time.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

well i will buy iphone 4G for sure when its released but i think ill keep my n900 i loved it so much but i always like to change and especially try new iphones ..

No, keeping my N900 (hope) for 2 years

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Puerto Rico
Definitely No. I'm also planning for 2-3 years top.
http://j0hnmcclane.deviantart.com/

I think I will have to buy a new phone soon enough, or else go back to the iphone that I thought I was saying goodbye to.

For me, the inadequacy of modest mail client is, frankly, a crime. Many, many people have noticed that I have a new phone, and are asking if I'd recommend it.

Honestly, I can't recommend it, but I wish that I could. I kick myself for not doing enough research before I bought the phone, but sure that's life. I'll make the best of the N900 until I can afford to replace it, and I might even learn a little linux along the way!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm in no hurry to supplant my N900, which is great. When I do, I'll get the best option I can find. I'd like something bigger and it's nice if it has some kind of phone, but not essential. I won't automatically buy Nokia, but I don't like the other options much. I like Linux and xterm.

Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
If I could get a thinner qwerty slider, with 512-1024mb RAM, 128GB somekind of MicroSSD, 1-2GHz CPU, AMOLED LCD, 100% functional navigation, battarey for 2-3 days.. then yes

it's nice to think how technology is evolving. this statement above could sound funny at the moment but definitely this will happen one day. we will all soon look down on n900 and say how slow device that is ... now that we have 4" capacitive multi touch (with small capacitive stylus) nokia n9000 with 1600 x 960 screen resolution. 2 ghz cpu (4ghz if overclocked), 2gb ram, 2gb of application memory, dual core graphics accelerator, 128 gb internal memory with optional external memory up to 64 gb.

this will happen in the future.

Tags
get back on, your meds