Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
One of my favorite websites for the 770 is the BBC news website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk
If you click on the link at the upper right corner of the main page: "Latest News in Video and Audio", you can get the 3 minutes or every hourly news bulletins. These used to work for me on video player but for some reason, now I always get a file-size of 0 bytes while downloading and the video player starts up but fails to play the file.
<p>
The website is working fine on my MacOSX powerbook and it used to work fine before on my 770.
Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to timbu For This Useful Post:
I'd guess that you've inadvertently changed your preferred BBC video resolution on the 770. In my experience, the BBC's low-res video works fine (apart from the fact that it's low-res, of course), but their high-res video produces a "file format error".

I think there's a link somewhere on the video-playing pages that should allow you to set your preference back to low-res.

Regards, Neil

Thanks! I had the same problem, and this worked for me.

Damian

I am still unable to view the BBC news video clips (or the radio streams). Video player is spawned and tries to open the file but gives "Playback error". I found the link to change settings but this has only two radio buttons to select between windows media player and realplayer media. There is no setting for high/low res. I also tried deleting cookies and clearing cache. The BBC news video clips used to play fine on my 770 earlier. Thanks.

I found that not only BBC, but any realplayer video stream from any other website would also give "Playback error" on opening in VideoPlayer. I finally gave up and called Nokia support. They suggested flashing my 770 afresh with the latest firmware (though it was already up-to-date on my 770 which was bought about two months ago). Now videoplayer works again and I am able to see BBC News player video clips as well as others. I will have to re-install all the applications from maemo.org once again

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
That's probably cos of a cookie in your browser telling bbc.co.uk to return the wrong stream type. By reflashing you wiped all your cookies, thus clearing the problem.

This proves the advantage to Nokia of having all the user data wiped by a reflash: makes solving intricate technical problems like this trivial.

Cheers,

Andrew