/var/lib/install/usr/bin is where my vim hides. I ./vim /etc/apt/sources.list to edit my list. I get the the output of.. error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. Even ./vim (only) gives same output

How can I remedy this? Or how else can I edit my /etc/apt/sources.list

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
This is because you've not set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /var/lib/install/usr/lib. See the instructions in the ApplicationCatalog, "using x-term" and the vim page itself:

http://www.bleb.org/software/770/#vim

If they're not clear, I'd appreciate suggestions on how to improve them.

HTH,

Andrew

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
sudo gainroot
dpkg -x /path/to/vim*.deb /
DONE!

Originally Posted by uNtouched
sudo gainroot
dpkg -x /path/to/vim*.deb /
DONE!

Works for some other packages too. Did it with bash and others... Lots of fun

after doing that, where are the programs installed to? What is path to find them?

In that case, vim will be in /usr/bin/vim. It's a bit hacky as uninstallation becomes a matter of finding all the files in the deb and removing them.

There's also the possibility of overwriting something core to the OS, and having to reflash your device.

Of course, 2006 OS' better package management will remove all these problems by installing everything under /.

Originally Posted by aflegg
There's also the possibility of overwriting something core to the OS, and having to reflash your device.
Yeah I probably should have included that disclaimer, but as long as I can still flash the thing I'm willing to take the risk.

Indeed, me too :-)

The vim webpage is currently down - could somebody possibly link me to a mirror please? I'm in fairly urgent need of it to fix up my recently reflashed device.

Thanks in advance,
Andy