Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Unless I am misreading it, we cannot add HERE to this application. Maybe someone more adequate in legal aspects can confirm/deny.

It looks like you cannot display search results from HERE on a map , if its not HERE tiles. This is based on https://legal.here.com/en-gb/terms/a...ble-use-policy , Layering and Modifications; https://developer.here.com/faqs, Licensing & Terms, Q7 [but Q9]

I think its illegal to use HERE routes in navigation apps. See https://legal.here.com/en-gb/terms/a...ble-use-policy, Application Restrictions , paragraph with "Route guidance applications"

Which means that I can drop plans on adding HERE as a service. Which is pity, they could have been great option for online service.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
I think are new rules after BMW buyed HERE, no problem go forward . . .

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-08-26 at 22:14.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Unless I am misreading it, we cannot add HERE to this application. Maybe someone more adequate in legal aspects can confirm/deny.
I think you're reading the old terms. That linked page says "Effective date: Monday, 4 June, 2018", while their new plans and terms were released in July/August. See the below link for newer terms ("Updated July 2018"). I haven't read it in full, but it seems much more liberal and even says "Section “Application Restrictions” as set out in the Acceptable Use Policy shall not apply."

https://developer.here.com/terms-and-conditions

I do remember reading that they lifted the ban on turn-by-turn apps, I'm not sure about commingling with non-HERE services.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
I do remember reading that they lifted the ban on turn-by-turn apps, I'm not sure about commingling with non-HERE services.
Indeed, I missed that they canceled Application Restrictions. But the commingling restriction is still there, unfortunately. So, unless we make special HERE-only mode (map/search/nearby/route by HERE only), it cannot be used. For now, at least, I'll better focus on other things.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Norway
When driving and missing GPS signal inside a tunnel, is it possible to continue to show the marker based on the speed before GPS signal disappeared? Pure maps is the best navigating app. Thanks riginius.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PamNor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PamNor View Post
When driving and missing GPS signal inside a tunnel, is it possible to continue to show the marker based on the speed before GPS signal disappeared? Pure maps is the best navigating app. Thanks riginius.
Yes, Osmo wrote an absolutely brilliant application and its a joy to work on it.

As for what to do when GPS is lost: for my liking, its too many unknowns to predict position reasonably. It would matter only in the tunnels with the branches, but then we don't know which one you took. Don't forget, its frequent when we reduce speed in the tunnel as well. From GPS POV, you will loose the signal that will have to be restored - so after tunel we will have a short break as well.

The alternative would be to switch to car's speedometer, compass, and from these try to predict the motion. I think that could come one day to Qt, if it hasn't done yet, but for the car industry mainly.

So, unfortunately, its a bit too far at foreseeable future.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Indeed, I missed that they canceled Application Restrictions. But the commingling restriction is still there, unfortunately. So, unless we make special HERE-only mode (map/search/nearby/route by HERE only), it cannot be used. For now, at least, I'll better focus on other things.
Ah, they didn't update the acceptable use document, only revoked a part of it in the terms document. By my liberal reading, it seems similar to Mapbox now, that you could take HERE tiles and combine them with non-HERE overlays, but can't combine HERE geocoding, routing or venues with non-HERE maps.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
. . .moved from osmscoutserver thread.
ok, i did not know what was already enabled, i knowing it was only available on the server, but thank u to let me know.
but i think there is something wrong here with the string below.
###navigation page###

- prefer shorter path
x
+ prefer shorter route

can someone with native english idiom confirm if is ok to use the word path to say routes of maps? rinigus? maemer? sailor? i am unclear about.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-08-27 at 19:32.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
. . .moved from osmscoutserver thread.
ok, i did not know what was already enabled, i knowing it was only available on the server, but thank u to let me know.
but i think there is something wrong here with the string below.
###navigation page###
- prefer shorter path
x
+ prefer shorter route
can someone with native english idiom confirm if is ok to use the word path to say routes of maps? rinigus? maemer? sailor? i am unclear about.
In general, review by native English speaker would be appreciated. Router options are now rather extensive an I was struggling with expressing the shades of preference, for example.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I am not a native English speaker but "shorter route" is definitely preferred over "shorter path".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: