Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
And chorded keyboard on the back please. It can be used as universal back buttons. With side buttons (like L, R) it would be more versatile, especially as gamepad.

And I cannot promise that I will ever buy your keyboard, because i prefer n9 and meego than some bulky phones with android/sailfish.
Meego Harmattan has perfect look&feel for me. I would like to switch to n950 but only half of storage or RAM, and prices are insane.

But maybe if both Lenovo (with Moto Mods) and you will success (with keyboard) then Lenovo will release more compact moto-z and you more compact keyboard. Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by badpixel; 2017-02-19 at 22:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Some more update: after some poll at folks around me and general people's opinion, most of the users prefer to have the arrow/navigation at bottom right corner rather than on the left, similar to N900/N950 or the Motorola sliders. Because we are crowd funding the device, in order to attract more "general" users, I will probably adapt common design...

I personally like the arrows on the left though...
weird. So, most of the people are lefties?

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I take it you mean left-handed as we do not like talking about politics here

I, as a right-handed person, would naturally prefer cursor keys on the right. But, like juiceme, I am not particularly bothered.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
It's just habit. Maybe all PCs have arrows on bottom right, so user will look for bottom right by default...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
That's what I thought, too. The arrow keys on the left make more sense as a D-pad for playing video games, arrow keys on the right resemble the layout on a computer keyboard. In the end, though, I don't think it really matters which side they are on a mobile keyboard, because although you have a dominant hand I doubt there's something like a dominant thumb.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
It's just habit. Maybe all PCs have arrows on bottom right, so user will look for bottom right by default...
Sure, but what is going to feel the most comfortable and natural?

Using the arrow keys on a PC keyboard is with your fingers, D-Pad on a gamepad is with your thumb.

Since this is likely to be used with your thumb I would expect on balance that more people would feel at home with a D-Pad style arrangement. OTOH the subsection of people who are n900 owners but not console gamers would probably be more at home with the n900 layout.

No doubt this is one of those ergonomics factors where you're not going to please everyone

EDIT: Third alternative: TV remote, which i expect people would use with their thumb in their dominant hand...

Last edited by r0kk3rz; 2017-02-21 at 12:13.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Finland
Finally this is becoming reality: Hardware Keyboard for MOTOROLA Moto Z, via Moto Mods. So far things are looking very promising but I have two things in my mind:

1. Size
Moto Z is pretty massive phone (153.3mm long) so it can be hard to reach the buttons in the middle of the keyboard. I did a DIY qwerty slider Android phone with Xiaomi Mi4C (138.1mm) and iPhone 6 (138.1mm) keyboard case. For my hands the length was absolutely maximum. Anything longer would have been too much. Now I'm using my Droid 4 daily and the length (127mm) is comfortable.

Because of that I'm suggesting to split the keyboard. Something like these: LG Protype, Dell prototype. In the middle there could be touchscreen, touchpad, speaker or extra buttons (for camera maybe?). It can also just be empty for lowering costs.

2. Software
Moto Z is a Android phone. It is possible to port Sailfish OS to Moto Z for example but it is not easy job. Like r0kk3rz already pointed out that Moto Z family is lacking CM13 ports. (Even Droid 4 doesn't have Sailfish OS port even though it has good CM support). Another thing to worry about is how the Moto Mod will work if we ditch Android? OS development will need special support.

Anyway I hope this will become reality. Keep up the good work!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Sure, but what is going to feel the most comfortable and natural?
Yes, thumbcontrol is to be concidered as standard way of using a small kbd.
If you think about it, an arrowkeypad in center of a split kbd would fit left and right handed people and grant more grip and possibly even onehanded use?
Has it ever been tried before?

EDIT, searchengines reveal some virtual attempts:

Last edited by mosen; 2017-02-21 at 10:43.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flash-A-Holic View Post
Droid 4 doesn't have Sailfish OS port even though it has good CM support)
Offtopic, but I'm currently doing Droid 4 port. Plan to post it once the basic things are fixed (currently missing sound input and camera at least).

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
The ID, layout and structure has been finalised today. I will share more info later.

The device will be produced in one of the Foxconn factories, I hope that can assure quality concerns.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love