Hi there!
I am about asking you... what device would you prefer to use... Nokia N900 or Nokia N8?
Please give me your opinion if you are care bout:
- Programming and mobile development.
- Average user use "music, videos, apps..."
- The shape.
- The OS
- All of them and more...
Thanks in advance

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
N900, nuff said

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
n8 ... NOT

i have both, they are very different. During the week i mostly use my n900 for work stuff( email, chat, txt, server and system admin )

on the weekends i usually switch to my n8,especially if i am going out of town for pleasure. Way better nav and camera, much longer battery life, etc.

again they are very different, like asking which is better apples or bread

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I have both, and the N8 is a nice smartphone, but the N900 for me is far superior because of:

1. Hardware keyboard.

2. Great resistive touchscreen that combines good level of sensitivity with a high degree of accuracy.

3. No amoled == no oversaturated colours.

4. No risk of purple tint.

5. Added flexibility and power of a mobile Linux distro. I have been spoiled by my N900, and there's no way I can go back to any primitive smartphone.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Nice answers....
For me i prefer the Nokia N900... u can do more on it than you can on Nokia N8, as no security to infiltrate, open source, OS flexibility and you can fix any bug could face u during your use.

N900, hands down.
If you get a software problem with it you can usually sort it with a few commands in X-Term.
IMO there should be a lot more devices like this on the market.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Why you have to choose? In my opinion you need both N900 and N8.
They are a very good match.

And you can get both in time for the price of an average Samsung Android phone.

The N900 is superior overall and has all the coolest applications and it has the best interface design so far.

As it grows more precious by the day, and out of curiosity I got myself an N9 for daily use, but noticed the display of the N9 is incompatible with my eyes and it is slippery and easy to break.

Now I have an N8 which I learned to accept (keyboard!!!) thanks to training on the N9.

-Screen is virtually unscratchable in normal use compared to N900 and N9.
-N8 looks has the most sturdy design.
It can drop and you can safely continue with social life instead of looking like your dog has just been run over by a bus.
-it hardware decodes your average video file better than the N900 even on TV with HDMI
-it accepts BT pheripherals out of the box (mouse)
-also has the FM transmitter + USB OTG
-it still receives major OS updates (Belle)
-the camera is very good. Too bad you need to close all apps to run shutter pro in the 256MB (Nokia has been greedy on RAM again)
-it can also multi-task
-it has superior SIP voice quality (I use it for business conversations with DID in number)
-N8 as a phone is more reliable than the N900 (less missed calls under heavy multitasking)
-Battery life is generally better than N900 (admittedly , you do less "stuff"with it, that helps)
-it is slimmer but not too slim
-it has dual charge modus (USB and normal charging pin)
-Navigation System is definitely a plus

The N8 you should definitely buy second hand hands on to check for the purple screen issue because Nokia will hapilly sell you a new device infected with this problem hoping you won't ever notice..
For new device you need a shop that is willing to demonstrate it.
I dis-advice buying it online.

to put this in iphone terms, n900 has wayyy more apps lol

but really functionality wise the N900 can do way more and the overall experience feels smoother to me.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Why you have to choose? In my opinion you need both N900 and N8.
They are a very good match.

And you can get both in time for the price of an average Samsung Android phone.

The N900 is superior overall and has all the coolest applications and it has the best interface design so far.

As it grows more precious by the day, and out of curiosity I got myself an N9 for daily use, but noticed the display of the N9 is incompatible with my eyes and it is slippery and easy to break.

Now I have an N8 which I learned to accept (keyboard!!!) thanks to training on the N9.

-Screen is virtually unscratchable in normal use compared to N900 and N9.
-N8 looks has the most sturdy design.
It can drop and you can safely continue with social life instead of looking like your dog has just been run over by a bus.
-it hardware decodes your average video file better than the N900 even on TV with HDMI
-it accepts BT pheripherals out of the box (mouse)
-also has the FM transmitter + USB OTG
-it still receives major OS updates (Belle)
-the camera is very good. Too bad you need to close all apps to run shutter pro in the 256MB (Nokia has been greedy on RAM again)
-it can also multi-task
-it has superior SIP voice quality (I use it for business conversations with DID in number)
-N8 as a phone is more reliable than the N900 (less missed calls under heavy multitasking)
-Battery life is generally better than N900 (admittedly , you do less "stuff"with it, that helps)
-it is slimmer but not too slim
-it has dual charge modus (USB and normal charging pin)
-Navigation System is definitely a plus

The N8 you should definitely buy second hand hands on to check for the purple screen issue because Nokia will hapilly sell you a new device infected with this problem hoping you won't ever notice..
For new device you need a shop that is willing to demonstrate it.
I dis-advice buying it online.
most of comments are talking about using Nokia N00 and the n8 at the same time.
but what if i have Nokia n900 as my main phone and tablet device, while i have FujiFilm 14mp digital HD camera to use it instead of the N8?
well? or u prefer another opinion?
Thx at all!