Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Hi,

it is not nice, that Apple is releasing buggy software and users are suffering.
BUT it is nice to see once again, that also Apple is 'only cooking with water' as well. They start doing serious features and fail

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...-buggy-as-hell

These are the most complained about issues:

* Photos synced with iPhoto turn are extremely blurry
* Update deletes all contacts, and backups will not restore them
* MMS no longer works
* Push notifications not functioning
* Auto-lock is set at one minute and the option to change this is greyed out
* Update fails and device reboots endlessly

BTW, there are comments as well AND they can be rated

Best regards,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corwin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Sounds more like a flamebait than an informative post or invitation to discuss.

ps: a comment to BGR's article: the update has been out for less than a day but none of the reviews done by the 'big review sites (including ars) mentioned any bugs.

I think their general stability (on day to day operation and through firmware updates) is due to stringent application sandboxing.
So I'm guessing many of the bugs mentioned by BGR are due to some leftover jailbroken mods.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-22 at 10:07.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Thank goodness Maemo is bug free and feature rich!

I think the amount of bugs in smartphones is symptomatic of the environment - high competition for features and constantly moving hardware specs.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

is this problems with the older Iphones 3g 3gs. i take it that the iphone 4. all these errors will be fixed to do hardware changes. as in more memory and such likes.

and it also seesm to only affect random iphones and not all iphones. so might also be down to other apps being installed.

Hi ysss,

sorry to hear that, but it is just facts, no flamebait at all.

@cashclientel
Nobody said that Maemo or Symbian or Android or any other complex software on this planet is bug-free (at least I do not).
But as it is always said about Apples software, I think it *is* indeed interesting to see that they are having the same problems as others, as soon as they do the same level of complexity.

The problem seems to be a major SSU-Update, this always invokes problems. Apple tries to avoid it by closing down their platform to keep complexity and variables down. Same with PR1.2, do a clean install and a restore and you have no problems. These problems will also not be on fresh installed iPhone4s, I suppose.

As I said, my point is that Apple does not per se deliver better software than others. They also 'cook with water'. Nothing wrong with writing down facts, IMHO?

Best regards,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/p...ing-you-grief/

don't know how correct that is but it reports thousands issues with multiple choices.
2000+ have had random crashes and about same amount have got their address book deleted for some reason (backup isn't functioning or what?!?)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
@Corwin: I don't know about 'facts' when they're unsubstantiated. Here's a collection of reviews, none of which found any of the bugs mentioned by BGR's 'tipsters':

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/21/...and-much-more/

Again, I think there's a high probability that the bugs are generated by jailbroken mods; which are outside of the scope of Apple's usecase.

@Ossipena: thanks! That's more like it.
Hmm there's no obvious button to view the poll's result without taking part of the poll. I wonder how much that affects the result.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-22 at 10:32.

Ysss,

of course we are all free to believe whatever we want. I personally believe that BGR is a not so small site which pays some attention, what to post and what not. But of course you are right, this alone is not enough, you need to take it with a pinch of salt like everything.

So if you now take into consideration what Apple did (a major SSU upgrade) and that Apple does not really do magic but (decent) software and engineering as everybody else, it is not surprising that this might go wrong on a certain percentage of devices, like it would for any other vendor. This is, BTW, my one and only point here.

Then have a look at the comments: you can see that several people also seem to (or at least say so) experience the mentioned bugs. So they are either all trolls, or they really have a problem or a mix of both.

BTW, writing a comment needs lot more involvement and is a lot more work than clicking a button in an open 'poll'. If this is more like 'fact' to you - well, okay.

Regards,
Corwin

@Corwin: what if a great majority of these issues stemmed from, as I said, unofficial/unsupported jailbroken components?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Corwin: what if a great majority of these issues stemmed from, as I said, unofficial/unsupported jailbroken components?
does apple allow updating jailbroken devices?