Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I have a slight question about devlopment.
I am in process of making a game, and i dont want to make it in C++ or the other languages as they arent suited for gaming development. Therefore i chose XNA/C#, which is a language made for this purpose, and includes all you need to make high quality 3D games that are light.
My problem is that C# is based on .NET framework and depends on it.
Would it be possible to install a binary package made for normal Linux on a N900 and still working?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
I am in process of making a game, and i dont want to make it in C++ or the other languages as they arent suited for gaming development. Therefore i chose XNA/C#, which is a language made for this purpose, and includes all you need to make high quality 3D games that are light.
Would it be possible to install a binary package made for normal Linux on a N900 and still working?

Heya, good questions, you may have put this in the wrong forum though - worth asking in the developers forum i think

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I am in process of making a game, and i dont want to make it in C++ or the other languages as they arent suited for gaming development.
C & C++ compile down to native code. For games, this is going to be better than going through a VM (even a JITed) oen.

Therefore i chose XNA/C#, which is a language made for this purpose, and includes all you need to make high quality 3D games that are light.
I suspect it is light for the developer, but relatively heavyweight in terms of the requirements for the machine the framework runs on.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No. You'll either have to port XNA on top of the old Mono port; switch to a different technology stack or give up. :-(

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
ROTFL. I predict a great success.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, they are relatively light... Relative to Java that is...

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The problem with .NET is that Mono isn't a port, it's a community reimplementation, and AFAIK, the only part that Microsoft even came close to sanctioning was Moonlight (Silverlight for Linux), and that's because they were desperate (not that it got them anywhere :P). Because of this, while C# itself will work on Linux (and it is a nice language to work with - I used to use it, and I liked it), .NET apps aren't always portable due to Microsoft-specific libraries and such (the Ink libraries used in Paint.NET come to mind). So yes, you can use it in Linux (and thus theoretically on Maemo), but no, it's probably not the best choice, and no, it won't always work smoothly. I can understand why you'd want to use C#, but if you're serious about Linux (or cross-platform in general) programming, you'd be better off picking up something more universal. I don't know what would be the best for your application, but for the N900, C# wouldn't be it.

Last edited by jaem; 2009-12-13 at 15:19. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Do you have any suggestions for other options?
Or is there only Java, C, C++, Qt and Python as alternaltives?

There's a library for Python called PyGame that might help with game making, though I don't know if it's been ported to the N900.

I am in process of making a game, and i dont want to make it in C++ or the other languages as they arent suited for gaming development.
Are you kidding me? C++ not for game development? Want planet are you from?

2d

The Following User Says Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
I am in process of making a game, and i dont want to make it in C++ or the other languages as they arent suited for gaming development
*cough cough*
C++ is very well suited for game development. Of course it depends on your skills, but if you think C++ is too hard let start with python. Don't even think about .Net for the N900, nor thinking of making a 3D game the easy way without high knowledge of programming.