Poll: Should the N800/N810 thumb keyboard have a transparency setting?
Poll Options
Should the N800/N810 thumb keyboard have a transparency setting?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Absolutly not ... virtual thumboard is already too slow to display ...
Displays almost instantly for me.

Besides, as I've said, I'm proposing a setting. You know, one that's optional.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
I'm not sure I understand the poll. Keyboard transparency? Meaning that as you type with the software keyboard you can see THROUGH it and see the website behind it? What's the point? Wouldn't it make it a bit >harder< to type?

Although I guess a *setting* would be nice... but one must also consider whether the project has real merit (i.e. is it worth it to divert developers to from other projects like improving the UI and such).

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I don't really understand what were talking about here (I'm stupid )

I think I sense a trout coming... :-/

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I have been advocating for something like this since I first tried to use any of the maemo IM clients with the thumb board and quickly realized that it was not that useful. I only ever IM if I have my BT keyboard. Another decent alternative would be to have an iPhone style keyboard like the one the Canola guys cooked up display *half* the screen with the text form input box from the IM client/webpage whatever visible in the top half of the screen.

Oh well maybe someday but with the N810 having a physical keyboard I can see this feature never being implemented.

One huge advantage the iPhone <Spit!> keyboard has imo is that you can still see *where* you are typing - sounds wierd but it gives it some context, and does not disconnect you from the app. Dare I say it is more 'seamless'?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
I agree with you ander and Mobile D. That is something I've never liked of the thumb keyboard, and that's why I rarely use it all. I only use it when entering some (0/\/\p|_iC47eD passwords into forms. Otherwise I'll use the smaller software keyboard (the password text is small and disappears quickly into *s, not a huge problem with thumb keyboard)

I haven' voted (yet), it seems to be one strong 'yes' and a bunch of different 'no''s and one don't know.. if there was an option "sounds like a good idea but I've never used one so I don't really know if it would work", then that's the one I would have ticked!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I don't see why it would be a problem. If you don't like it or dont want it you can switch it off, so everyone should be happy

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
All that said, ragnar, note how the poll question was worded. A transparency setting could support a gradient of values, from NONE to virtually invisible. The default could, of course, be NONE.

Which really makes the one "O hell no" response a little amusing to me. Don't want an available option? Don't use it.
Well, you're not really thinking this issue right now.

You're not asking for a transparency setting to the _current_ finger keyboard. The current finger keyboard duplicates the text field on the top of the view. Editing is done in that text area. Surely you're not asking to keep that feature with a transparent keyboard, right?

You're asking for rather more changes to the interaction logic - I would at least presume...

Perhaps someone could photoshop us some mockups please?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Well, you're not really thinking this issue right now.

You're not asking for a transparency setting to the _current_ finger keyboard. The current finger keyboard duplicates the text field on the top of the view. Editing is done in that text area. Surely you're not asking to keep that feature with a transparent keyboard, right?

You're asking for rather more changes to the interaction logic - I would at least presume...
Sure, you can see what you're entering, but you also lose any form of context. This is especially important for things like IM and IRC where information may change while one is in the fullscreen keyboard state.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-10-21 at 18:09.