Poll: Should the N800/N810 thumb keyboard have a transparency setting?
Poll Options
Should the N800/N810 thumb keyboard have a transparency setting?

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
here is a screenshot of "Zero Weight Keyboard" running on my tabletPC. It was specifically created for UMPCs and is free to download
EDIT: will post more info shortly

Last edited by ichmoimeyo; 2007-10-21 at 20:31.

screenshot of IM conversation using different background and foreground colors. More info to follow...

As mentioned above "Zero Weight Keyboard" can be downloaded for free if you would like to get a 'feel' for it on a 'windows' machine.

Here are 2 forum threads:
@Origami Project
@UMPC Portal

Both the degree of transparency and the background and foreground colors of the keyboard can be changed interactively or from the command line e.g.:
zwkb.exe Foreground=19 Background=8 Transparency=50%

I have attached the readme file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt readme.txt (13.2 KB, 905 views)

Personally I would like to see ...

1) Nokia could officially integrate a Linux version of "Zero Weight Keyboard" as an additional input method. Presently it appears that ZWK only has a US and a UK version. I would like to see other language versions for 'accents' etc. Perhaps the original developer could be persuaded to implement a Linux version seeing as Linux on mobile devices similar to our Internet Tablets is about to rise substantially [Intel's 'moblin' etc.]

2) If Nokia did not wish to officially implement it perhaps the original developer could be contacted to write a stand-alone program. Existing 'Internet Tablet' developers could give him a hand or write it instead should he not be willing/able to do so. [dnastase and penguinbait come to mind amongst others ].

3) Keep the existing thumboard supporting many languages and with text prediction. It however still would be nice to be able to adjust the 'transparency' and 'foreground' and 'background' colors under settings. Default could stay the same with only those wishing to adjusting these settings.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I haven' voted (yet), it seems to be one strong 'yes' and a bunch of different 'no''s and one don't know.. if there was an option "sounds like a good idea but I've never used one so I don't really know if it would work", then that's the one I would have ticked!
Then "don't know" sounds to me like your answer.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Very interesting...

I'm thinking a similar program could probably be written... And would it be that hard to code? Suposidly, Canola's (2.0) iPhone like sw keyboard input was written in about a day... in python?

Makes me wonder how long would it take to reimplement Zero Weight Keyboard as an open source app on the tablet.....

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ichmoimeyo View Post
here is a screenshot of "Zero Weight Keyboard" running on my tabletPC. It was specifically created for UMPCs and is free to download
EDIT: will post more info shortly
Holy crap, that is horrible.

I originally voted yes to transparency... after seeing these pictures, I wish I could change my vote.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Zero, that's why I was unclear earlier in this thread. It might be a useful feature, but to me transparency seems to be the wrong way to do it since Whatever is in the background can potentially interfere with your typing.

Where is the 9 on that screenshot? As opposed to finding the d in that screen shot. Layout and design are very important in any product's success. Find the Z for me on that screenie. Yes touchtypists shouldn't have much of an issue, but not all of the IT's users are mad keyboarders.

I just posted the following in these two 'Zero Weight Keyboard' thrreads to get the developer's attention:
@Origami Project
@UMPC Portal

very impressive indeed DevDoo6!

I tested it on my tabletPC but really would love a 'linux' version for my nokia n800 Internet Tablet.

With lots of other mobile devices running 'linux' in the near future [Intel's 'moblin' etc] would you consider implementing a hildon/ubuntu mobile version?
[perhaps with the help of some linux developers if needed]

I posted about your 'Zero Weight Keyboard' in the following thread in the Internet Tablet Talk Forums:

Transparent thumb keyboard poll

A youtube video showing the "Zero Weight Keyboard" in action
[video made before "transparency" feature implemented; de facto shows usage with transparency set to "0" and black on white colors]