hello there,

Well i am considering to buy a N800 and have a couple of questions about the phone

1. can the phone play flash9 based videos online from websites like youtube/google video

2. how the functionality of calling phones from skype

3. is there any office applications like quick office

4. how is the functionality of the handwriting identifier

5. is there any ethernet ports/usb ports on the device

thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to ananthk666 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Hello,

1. yes it can play flash9 in the browser itself. Also there are many third party apps llike mtube which mostly work lilke the youtube app in iphone only that you can also save the flash videos and watch them later offline. There is also the upcoming canola
plugin which does the same thing with a much better interface.

2.Yeah the functionality is very good and it can replace your normal phone if you have wifi around.

3.Not yet but there is abhiword which is under development since a while.

4. The hand writing editor is not the best but in fact i havent seen anything like that in any other portable device.

5. No ethernet port but it hsa a mini usb whic works well with OTG.

but is it possible to take notes with the handwriting editor

how is the interface speed of the instrument

No. the interface is speed is a little slow for fast handwriting recognition. it only recognizes one letter at a time.

soo it does not recognize words and does the fingerpad support onscreen keyboard

Originally Posted by ananthk666 View Post
soo it does not recognize words and does the fingerpad support onscreen keyboard
There are two methods of input for the n800:

1. On screen touch keypad which has two versions. THe default one is a small one which appears on the base of the screen. There is another full screen keypad which fills the entire screen with the buttons and larger keys.

2. An alternatvie method of input is handwriting which when selected replaces the onscreen keyboard. Where you write with the stylus but you have to give a little pause after each letter is written so as to make it appear on the respective input field. WHat i am essentially saying is that you u cannot continously scribble letters as there is a millisecond lag where the n800 reconizes what you have written after which you enter the next letter.

All inupt methods have word completion alternatives which i found are quite useful

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by ananthk666 View Post
hello there,

Well i am considering to buy a N800 and have a couple of questions about the phone
Just an important note since you called this a phone in your message: the N800/N810 is NOT A PHONE. It does not have a slot for a SIM card and you will not be able to use it as a normal phone. There's some semi-useful phone stuff you can do (send SMS with Phonelink if conneted to your phone over bluetooth) but this device will not replace a phone, you won't be able to answer calls with it and you certainly will not be able to ditch your cell phone, unless your city is covered with free WLANs everywhere.

Also, Skype does not have video although audio works fine. So: not a phone and the Skype support is a big disappointment. There's Gizmo for video calls but since nobody I've ever met has even heard of it, that won't help you with non-geek friends/relatives. If Skype video worked, this device would have much more non-geek appeal.

I thought it's important to point this out since a lot of people seem to think the N8X0 can replace a normal cell phone. It really can't and is totally not even meant to do that. It's an Internet Tablet, not a phone. Also, if writing is important to you, just get the N810. I like it's keyboard a lot for writing. The on-screen keyboard of the N800/N810 covers up most of the screen when you use it and is not very nice for chatting etc. Get the N810, not that much more expensive. It's a great toy. Go get one

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
No, please don't.

Seriously, batpenguin is right -- it's NOT a phone. It does well to play back music, videos (needs optimization), and internet media streams. It does a much better job of web browsing than my Windows Mobile devices, my Nokia E51 and a Nokia E90 that I've been playing with for the last week and a bit. It's not the fastest device out there, but it beats having to carry my notebook around (especially in cramped spaces like aircraft) for entertainment and online activities.

I use Skype and SIP (via VoIPBuster) everyday for calling my wife and she can't tell when I'm calling from my PC and when I'm calling from the N800.

Handwriting recognition isn't as good as I had it in the Newton MessagePad 2100, but it works as promised. I'm not a big fan of the virtual keyboard, but that works as well. Flash works as well, so that's a big plus for me since I use WeBot on both Windows machines at home, so I have my full collection of music and pictures available to me any time.

My N800 is usually hooked up to my office WLAN or my home WLAN, and to my E51 smartphone's 3G data connection via BT.

It doesn't do office applications well, and that's doesn't bother me one bit. My N800 is an entertainment and web device, not for work.

Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
Seriously, batpenguin is right -- it's NOT a phone.
It's not a cellular phone, but it is a phone in the sense that it can convert sounds into electrical signals and vice versa.

I use mine as a phone daily.

1. It is not a phone, as others pointed out.

2. The handwriting recognition sucks. It is simply horrible. One letter at a time, if it even does that correctly. The only realistic method of input is the onscreen keyboard or the physical keyboard if you have the N810. I love the N800, but come on guys. There is no denying that the handwriting recognition is inadequate for any real method of input, and it is in no way faster or easier to use than the keyboard.

As a side note, I have really begun considering selling my N800 and getting a N810. I have been doing more messaging and the onscreen keyboard is rather inadequate in terms of speed and accuracy for heavy messaging.