Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
I didn't see any recent posts on this so...

The below article is from yesterday. Has the Maemo code been reved?

Pleyo and Sand-Labs.org have released a third-generation beta version of their Webkit-based, open source browser for consumer-electronics devices.
OWB v3 is available now in beta form under the release code name "DoDuo," with a public release due in September. Free downloads are available here. For more background, including nice screenshots of OWB running on Nokia's N800/N810 and OpenMoko's Neo1973, don't miss Verdie's whitepaper Introducing OWB, an open-source browser for consumer devices.
Linux Devices Article
OWB Site
Download for the n800 (compilation required, no deb yet)

I've attempted compilation several times since I first heard of it a while back, unfortunately I've yet to succeed

Has anyone?

Binaries would greatly be appreciated!

bump-

help please

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
The link for the N800 version you want is http://www.sand-labs.org/owb/wiki/OwbN800Hildon . This has a nice hildonized interface, optimized for the n800. I'm trying to build it in scratchbox right now, but I have a slow (900 MHz) linux box, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a package when all is finished. I'm also leaving on Sunday for a week, so I'll try to get it done before then, but no promises!

[edit]Well, that was short lived. Getting an error when trying to make cmake:
Code:
[ 67%] Building CXX object Source/CMakeFiles/CMakeLib.dir/cmDynamicLoader.o
[ 67%] Building CXX object Source/CMakeFiles/CMakeLib.dir/cmELF.o
In file included from /home/bobby/owb/cmake-2.6.0/Source/cmELF.cxx:23:
/home/bobby/owb/cmake-2.6.0/Source/cmsys/CPU.h:99:4: #error "The target CPU architecture is not known."
make[2]: *** [Source/CMakeFiles/CMakeLib.dir/cmELF.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Source/CMakeFiles/CMakeLib.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Maybe because I'm under ARMEL, and not X86? Not sure... I'll keep trying... But I'm going to bed soon :-P

[edit2]Just realized I was using a different version of cmake than the website says... I'll keep trying!

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2008-07-19 at 03:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
anybody out there able to lend TJ a hand?

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
OK, a small update to my progress. I got cmake, gperf, and ICU compiled. I tried to create a deb of ICU (because the website says you need ICU to run OWB), but dpkg-buildpackage kept failing, saying some directories don't exist. I then found a version of ICU in a repository (maemo extras? Not quite sure where...), so I think that will work...

I'm currently in the process of compiling OWB itself. However, because my linux box is SLOW (900 MHz, remember?), it has been compiling for 30-45 minutes, and it's only at about 40%. On top of that, I'll probably be going to bed (and leaving for the week, without internet most likely) in about an hour.

So, if I can't get a package built or whatever, I'll try to at least let you guys know if compiling works. Then, hopefully someone else with scratchbox setup can come in and compile quickly.

[edit]Everything compiled fine, but the compiled libraries come in to ~680 mb! Since I'm not booting from SD, that's more than I can handle on my n800. Anyway, I'm uploading my built libraries and binaries to http://truejournals.com/build.tar . You can extract with:
Code:
tar xzvf build.tar
Try to guess where things should go (/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib?) and it might work. You'll need icu, though. libicu somethng is in a repository, just not sure which one at the moment. Good luck to anyone who tries this!

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2008-07-20 at 03:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
tar xzvf build.tar
Either its gzipped and you call it tar.gz or it isn't gzipped and you use omit -z in tar e.g. tar xvf. I suggest you gzip or bzip2 the tarball.