Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
I am looking to have command line audio recording application for Maemo (N810), like arecord in alsatools. Is there a alsatools available for Maemo? I could also be interested to obtain this work from someone?

The Following User Says Thank You to ppafin For This Useful Post:
There's "rec", from sox, and I'm sure arecord would work too, not sure if there's binaries available though.

Keep in mind you're limited to garbage quality for unknown reasons, I filed a bug a while ago, which unfortunately no one has responded to:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2450

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
There's "rec", from sox, and I'm sure arecord would work too, not sure if there's binaries available though.

Keep in mind you're limited to garbage quality for unknown reasons, I filed a bug a while ago, which unfortunately no one has responded to:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2450
I couldn't find rec ? Do I need some packages installed for that?

Originally Posted by ppafin View Post
I couldn't find rec ? Do I need some packages installed for that?
It's part of the sox package, which I guess I must have compiled myself.

Have you tried maemo-recorder?

There's a sox package somewhere, check http://gronmayer.com/it/, but if you actually want alsa stuff (e.g. alsamixer, in my case) you can get it via chrootage...

Maemorec is not for me, I want recording automation from shell script. Therefore I am looking after arecord, rec or similar cmd line implementation.

What is chrootage?

Using chroot. I meant to Debian, specifically, though I didn't say that.

You could also boot to Debian, if that's more your speed.

Maemorec is not for me, I want recording automation from shell script. Therefore I am looking after arecord, rec or similar cmd line implementation.
Try gstreamer:
gst-launch-0.10 dsppcmsrc ! 'audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000,channels=1' ! wavenc ! filesink location=/path/to/file.wav

works for me.

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
Try gstreamer:
gst-launch-0.10 dsppcmsrc ! 'audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000,channels=1' ! wavenc ! filesink location=/path/to/file.wav
Wow, I have to try that! Thanks. If this is a solution, next thing would of course be compression. Is there a way to have OGG compression for that WAV file after recording - any clues?

Wow, I have to try that! Thanks. If this is a solution, next thing would of course be compression. Is there a way to have OGG compression for that WAV file after recording - any clues?
There's always a way!

I'd think worst case, you could point gstreamer to stdout, and use a normal unix pipe through oggenc / stdin, or something, then you're not writing the .wav to disk at all.

What about using a-Law? (alawenc in gstreamer)