Notices

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
I am interested what are the best / most useful applications on your Nokia N900.

So based on your recommendations, I could save the time + energy to try all that is available, or spend weeks missing a feature when it has been already fixed by others, so just jumpstart with the good stuff.

Something like these A-lists:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist
http://lifehacker.com/5075332/best-a...ctivity-so-far
http://lifehacker.com/5212542/one-do...e-android-apps
http://www.bestofsymbian.com/s60-ess...-applications/

I made a search on the forum, but didn't find, so please link it in if there is.

Thanks a lot!

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Given that at the moment there's only a hundred or so applications, I don't think it would take you all weekend to study them all. Added to which once you've familiarised yourself with them, you can simply follow what's fresh.

If you want to adventurous, there's all the additional items available in extras-testing or even devel. There are ways of running n900 as a different operating system such as palm.

The problem with an 'A list' is that there's always such disagreement over what's really important. Your critical list of apps might be very, very different from mine. For example, there are people here who would say they bought n900 because it can run game emulators... which have no interest at all for me. The symbian 'A list' you link to contains precisely 2 items I have on my n95, and 13 I wouldn't want. These lists are too subjective.

Perhaps if you give a better idea of what sort of thing you want to use the device for, a list could be drawn up?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
The SDK, `cause you still have to write your own stuff...

(only half kidding)

For me?
  • OpenSSH
  • HP42 Calculator
  • rootsh
  • Personal IP Address
  • VNC Viewer
  • Gonvert
  • Conky (for amusement)

Its a pocket terminal strapped to the back of my phone, basically.

Compared to either iPhone or Android, there aren't any "cool" apps out there (yet) that I have seen. Nokia just doesn't "get" the services concept (extra evidence with Ovi Maps, which won't help you get out of a paper bag).

The only reason I'll Ovi is to get my $50 rebate.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffsf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
@jeffsf - thanks, this is just what I need!

@RevdKathy - so I am interested in what are the A-list apps for you, maybe I can learn something from your usage.
At the moment, I use my Palm Treo 680 90% as a PIM (Calendar, Contacts, List manager, E-mail checking), and only 10% for other things (dictionaries, password manager, mp3, etc.). However, if this 10% is missing, it is very painful.
When I was using Psions, I did much-much more, because the devices were capable to much more. Reading ebooks, editing and syncing a big list of Excel tables with various data from expenses, movies and books listings. Editing and syncing word files for all sorts of reasons. Lots of wonderful gaming, just for the joy, accessing my unix accouts with Telnet, route planning with TomTom.
But it took a lot of time to discover these apps.

Well the nice thing about the Maemo stuff is that a lot of it will be in one place: the Maemo.org repositories.And of course there will be Ovi store, one they get things ironed out for the developers. There will be lots of cool stuff to discovery. And for the adventurous there will be other Maemo software which will be out in the wilds. Those will take some time and effort to find.

Petrovich is a must if you want to be able to share things over bluetooth

I also like Panucci for listening to audiobooks and podcasts

Dosbox would be a killer app for me but it is very slow and I am not sure if it can ever be made fast in a non x86 system

Gonvert is very useful for converting measures etc

All apps I have seen are useful up to now maybe with the exception of that game that you have to throw your phone in the air

The Following User Says Thank You to yorg For This Useful Post:
rootsh
conky
fbreader
cbrpager
mplayer + sib or kmplayer
xournal
scid

The Following User Says Thank You to sierrafoxtrot For This Useful Post:
Moobox is all you need

I use the following the most;

-custom operator name widget > for fun
-load-applet > for cpu activity at a glance
-petrovich > for bluetooth file-sharing
-conky > for up-time and wlan connectivity at a glance

The Following User Says Thank You to Death Scythe For This Useful Post:
-Gpodder(podcast aplication)
-Conversations Inbox Destop Widget(show SMS and IM messages in your your desktop)
-Fbreader(ebook reader)
-FM Radio Player(just that)
-OMWeather(weather widget)
-Mplayer(media player)
-Simple Brightness Applet(fast way to adjust your screen brightnes)
-Simple FMTX Desktop Widget(FM transmitter enabler/disabler widget)
-Transmission(torrent client)
-TuneWiki Destop Widget(shows the lyrics of the playing song in the desktop)
-Zoutube(youtube client)
-TouchSearch(fast way to search web)
Then there are the different emulators the best i have used has been DrNokSnes.

I got lots more of applications installed, but these are apps that haven't crashed ever in my use and i think all can be found from extras. Plus they either do 90% of what i want it to do or do just what i want it do.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-01-01 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post: