Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Gemniii42's suspicion sounds like the most likely. It briefly happened to me as well.

But it's sure good to see an example of our customer service working well!

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Well, two weeks ago I asked nokia where I could have my n800 repaired (using their online form) and I'm still waiting for a reply...
Maybe nokia's customer service only works on your side of the pond

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
I called them while I was in California on Sept 3rd and the instructional email that should have taken "3-5 hours" still hasn't turned up. I didn't get much traction until I responded pretty harshly to their Customer Service Questionnaire. If you haven't heard from them call again and let them know, politely since it's not the fault of the person you'd be talking to, that you're prepared to drop the platform altogether if they can't even handle sending a simple email out.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
I had the same problem with the touchscreen on the N810, so I went to the Nokia Repair/Warranty page, entered the WLAN MAC Id and couriered it to their Alabama center. They send back a new N810 in a week

The Following User Says Thank You to vabgeo For This Useful Post:
I'm at the dismantle-to-find-the-loose-connection stage now, but I can't get the screen off. I've undone all the screws I can see. Has there been a How To guide on this? I can't find via Google under "dismantle" or "inside"

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Nokia have some internal guides on how to do this & service the N800/N810 that have been *cough* leaked *cough*

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Nokia have some internal guides on how to do this & service the N800/N810 that have been *cough* leaked *cough*
I have only seen these for the 770 and N800, none for the N810. If a N810 one is out there care to send a pointer? (or link)

Grats on the new replacement.

Anyway, if you had a n8x0 with a failed touchscreen, I would say to install x11vnc and run either grumby (aka chumby) to stream info, use as a radio (lastfm/vagalume), or put it in a picture frame and run a slideshow on it.

-K

The Following User Says Thank You to cheahk For This Useful Post:
Wow, I totally should have thought of that. I just bought second hand iBook to turn into a photoframe. So now I need to teach myself a how to program for Maemo and write something that checks an email account, downloads new photos and adds them to the list. Sweet!

first step, finding the x11vnc repository. Thanks cheahk

Last edited by IntrepidAnitpodean2; 2008-10-07 at 22:16.

Do you have the N810 LCD screen manufacturer and part #? I have the chance to get a friend's N810 and wire it up to a BeagleBoard (they have Maemo 5 alpha running now!), but I need to be sure that the lcd is on the supported list for either the HDMI or raw driver controllers.

I still have my own N810, but I don't feel like taking apart to look!

Here are the links to the controllers I mean:
http://www.digitalview.com/controllers/csg.php
There's a huge list to choose from, but no parts from Nokia listed. Hopefully it's someone else's lcd that they use.

Failing this, does anyone know directly of a controller for raw or HDMI adapter for the N810 screen?