Poll: SolarTOH, you want?
Poll Options
SolarTOH, you want?

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Hmmm... while it seems awesome for a shipping trip, I wonder about the survivability of the panels, since no cover seems to exist in current model. Are they rugged enough to not have to carry it in a separate container? (extra battery pack would then have advantage of not having to depend on weather) Will they survive normal usage? (I'm probably just paranoid, like when I heard about magnets in OH, for someone growing up with floppies magnets next to electronics seemed like crazy idea)
The cover around the panel is the highest point, so if you lay it flat on the table, the panel does not touch the surface.

The panel itself is made from a base pcb (glassfiber+epoxy) and covered in epoxy. I would say it is pretty durable and if you manage to make some scratches you have about 1mm of epoxy before you reach the photovoltaic cell, so safe to polish.

Should be fine. Would worry more about the front of your phone

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
The cover around the panel is the highest point, so if you lay it flat on the table, the panel does not touch the surface.

The panel itself is made from a base pcb (glassfiber+epoxy) and covered in epoxy. I would say it is pretty durable and if you manage to make some scratches you have about 1mm of epoxy before you reach the photovoltaic cell, so safe to polish.

Should be fine. Would worry more about the front of your phone
The screen tech is for pocket handling, not sure if those panels are, and you don't need to scratch them deep to lower their efficiency (if epoxy does get less transparent from pants fabric rubbing...) Nameday is coming soon, will give it a try.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Penang, Malaysia
excuse me bro dirkvl, what is the base made of? because as I can see it, it looked like, it made of styrofoam.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but the picture gives the impression of that material

Originally Posted by blood_falcon View Post
excuse me bro dirkvl, what is the base made of? because as I can see it, it looked like, it made of styrofoam.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but the picture gives the impression of that material
Styrofoam hates printers as most adhesives dissolve styrofoam, so you should be good

??? To pay for this purchase right now, link a debit or credit card to your PayPal account, how about f*** you. Any other option for payment?

Yeah,ok, now I understand why people hate paypal, f*** them, hopefully I can get my money back without having to disclose my grandmothers'/grandfather's details

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Can we have battery other half for jolla?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yeah,ok, now I understand why people hate paypal, f*** them, hopefully I can get my money back without having to disclose my grandmothers'/grandfather's details
Unfortunately that's how paypal works, You usually do need to bare your grandfathers genitals to make them do anything for you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by blood_falcon View Post
because as I can see it, it looked like, it made of styrofoam.
lasersintered polyamide or 'plastic'

??? To pay for this purchase right now, link a debit or credit card to your PayPal account, how about f*** you. Any other option for payment?
are you okay? did it work?

my webshop does not allow for a lot of different payment methods, what do you need? you can always mail me if you have this kind of issues.

Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Can we have battery other half for jolla?
not by me (and offtopic)

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Unfortunately that's how paypal works, You usually do need to bare your grandfathers genitals to make them do anything for you
they only ask me for username and pw

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I'm quite possibly the target market for solar charging my phone. I spend days on end away from any power sources sometimes bicycle touring.

I don't think a SolarTOH is very useful to me.

1) it's on the back. My phone is usually facing up, on my bars with mapping running or in a bag keeping dry. It'd not get any charge.

2) I'm always moving so keeping it facing sunlight would be tricky. Also, northern Europe so not exactly guaranteed sunshine.

3) It's too small to generate enough power compared to hub generators or much larger solar panels. I use a hub generator - 6v 3w at average cycling speed which feeds a buffer battery and then delivers USB 5v.

4) You'd have to leave the phone out in the open for hours to charge which generally isn't something you want to do with expensive kit on campsites or whatever.

What I need is a mega efficient transparent solar panel on the front of the phone so you could have it face up and using it.
I got the points. My last idea for solar toh was like this:

- use like 6 flex solar cells

http://www.flexsolarcells.com/index_...le-MPT6-75.php

- normally used as screen protector

- when you want to charge phone, unroll them and put on the sun

- depending on numer of cells you get like 300mA charging current

- the TOH is used to attach cells and for charging pins

But still dirk's solar TOH could be very useful for me if Jolla had proper charging support. Btw one more problem with solar TOH: if you want to use camera and TOH is charging, the GUI is very frozen...
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psonek For This Useful Post: