Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
It seems that others are running into a little problem that I ran into my self; I found that repository.maemo.org was failing for DNS lookup inside of scratchbox, I followed the suggestions inside of this thread and ran sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /scratchbox/etc/resolv.conf
which instantly fixed some of the lookup problems inside scratchbox, just a thought.

My /scratchbox/etc/resolv.conf was using loopback for DNS.
This effectively changed it to something reasonable like 4.2.2.2

Last edited by lostinmirkwood; 2009-09-15 at 16:46. Reason: correction

The Following User Says Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post:
Another newbie question:

With Scratchbox and Xephyr running I can see the basic desktop (with the green PS3 looking background). If I click on Application Manager and and then select catalogues there is a "NEW" button that launches the Add-a-catalogue form.

I've tried adding a repository but it doesn't seem to save it; so now I have a few questions.

1. Should I be able to load a catalogue in the SDK? If so How?

2. Can I hand edit it? I expected that the contents of the /etc/apt/sources.list would be loaded here. (I've even used the red pill)

3. Is it wrong for me to expect other applications to be loaded (contacts, calendar, etc) I realize this is a Development environment for our code, but I would assume you could still connect to other repositories just for testing learning purposes.

4. Do I not have the Fremantle Extras loaded correctly? If I go to
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...remantle/free/ with my browser I see a pile of apps and libraries. Do I have to explicitly Make and Install these?

Thanks again, I'm feeling a little less lost these days. I'm also quite impressed with the Maemo community, it seems that although it's a lot smaller than Symbian, developers are quite welcoming to new comers and our confused questions.

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

If something breaks in any one of them you get a crappy install.

I have seen the binaries fail, so I have a simple check on the two binaries installs (Error 1 & Error 2). If you get those, you just need to re-run the script and hopefully the repository will be working at that point.

Nathan.
One last question, and the answer may negate my previous post.
Is there anyway that I can do a Post-install check to see if those 5 binaries installed correctly?

Explicit directories created, etc.?

Downloaded the .02 image, but when doing Step 1. (Install scratchbox) it just says this:

Checking network connection..
Updating scripts..

.. and then it closes the window.

Network is working properly and Giplet shows my Ip address, although I had to change it from the properties to show eth1 instead of eth0.

Edit: I run the script on terminal and fount out the reason:

Install_Scratchboxz line8 is giving Permission denied.

I chmodded Install_Scratchbox_Main and it works now.

Last edited by pillar; 2009-09-15 at 19:01.

lostinmirkwood - you almost got it, I was happy, it started installing, went few miles, oh there are again some errors. I am kind of thinking do I wait till maemo dev on windows gets bit 'stronger'.

Even it gets installed - I have no idea where to start coding and run up something on a emulator inside that alien console.......

Originally Posted by pillar View Post
Downloaded the .02 image, but when doing Step 1. (Install scratchbox) it just says this:

Checking network connection..
Updating scripts..

.. and then it closes the window.

Network is working properly and Giplet shows my Ip address, although I had to change it from the properties to show eth1 instead of eth0.

Edit: I run the script on terminal and fount out the reason:

Install_Scratchboxz line8 is giving Permission denied.

I chmodded Install_Scratchbox_Main and it works now.
Oh, ergh.. I can't believe I would have missed that on my .02 image. Guess I'll add a quick fix for that to the scratchbox start install script. I wonder how I could have ran the script multiple times...

Thanks for letting me know -- I've submitted a new version of the script that will chmod all the install files first. ;-)

Nathan.

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-09-15 at 21:55.

Originally Posted by lostinmirkwood View Post
One last question, and the answer may negate my previous post.
Is there anyway that I can do a Post-install check to see if those 5 binaries installed correctly?

Explicit directories created, etc.?
Actually yes, my newer version of the scripts does additional checks for Scratchbox fully being installed, and E1/E2 error are checks for the Nokia Binaries SDK installation.

The Normal SDK installation actually has error checking of its own.

Nathan

It seems that others are running into a little problem that I ran into my self; I found that repository.maemo.org was failing for DNS lookup inside of scratchbox, I followed the suggestions inside of this thread and ran sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /scratchbox/etc/resolv.conf
which instantly fixed some of the lookup problems inside scratchbox, just a thought.

My /scratchbox/etc/resolv.conf was using loopback for DNS.
This effectively changed it to something reasonable like 4.2.2.2
Thanks, for the insight -- I haven't seen that issue, but then my networking is setup out of the box on my machine because I created on my machine. ;-) I'll add this to the scripts. Thx.

Nathan

Nathan: Just wanted to report that I got it installed now and everything went smooth after that small hiccup. Good work. I only installed Qt support and created a small HelloWorld app to try QtCreator out. Will wait for the Qt Scratchbox integration - best of luck with that one!

Another newbie question:

With Scratchbox and Xephyr running I can see the basic desktop (with the green PS3 looking background). If I click on Application Manager and and then select catalogues there is a "NEW" button that launches the Add-a-catalogue form.

I've tried adding a repository but it doesn't seem to save it; so now I have a few questions.

1. Should I be able to load a catalogue in the SDK? If so How?

2. Can I hand edit it? I expected that the contents of the /etc/apt/sources.list would be loaded here. (I've even used the red pill)

3. Is it wrong for me to expect other applications to be loaded (contacts, calendar, etc) I realize this is a Development environment for our code, but I would assume you could still connect to other repositories just for testing learning purposes.

4. Do I not have the Fremantle Extras loaded correctly? If I go to
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...remantle/free/ with my browser I see a pile of apps and libraries. Do I have to explicitly Make and Install these?

Thanks again, I'm feeling a little less lost these days. I'm also quite impressed with the Maemo community, it seems that although it's a lot smaller than Symbian, developers are quite welcoming to new comers and our confused questions.
v.02 has the Fremantles extra and extra-testing. Now the problem is that Scratchbox testing is primariy done in x86 code. The repository is primarily ARM compiled. I believe (I haven't tested -- I've been busy trying to make these images work <G>) that you can pull the source for several of the apps; and compile it. Also https://garage.maemo.org/projects/maemoexamples/ has a ton of fremantle samples that you can compile and run in the scratchbox. I've compiled a bunch of them for testing.

Actually I just figured out that you can use Apt-get from inside the scratchbox to pull any applications that have i386 in them. (See the below post of mine)

As for adding sources; you need to dig deep into the scratchbox /scratchbox/home/maemo/users/maemo/target/<target>/etc/apt/sources.list (While inside the scratchbox, you can use /etc/apt/ for the current target's sources.list file)

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-09-17 at 00:26. Reason: Adding apt-get info

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, programming, sdk, virtual machine, virtualpc, windows, windows 7