Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Nokia announces that Symbian will be shipped with approximately 150 million devices before coming to end-of-life. It's not the end-of-life for Meego, but not good news. With all the lack of support for N900 I still enjoy using the device, so it's a sad day for people expecting a Meego smart phone.
Sure, after saying it's doomed they are going to sell a lot more units of Symbian.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
So they've started posting stuff on http://conversations.nokia.com

Like the Open Letter from CEO Stephen Elop, Nokia and CEO Steve Ballmer, Microsoft

And you were all right: "Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy, innovating on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader."
Jeesuz.

Only now saw this.

Have. No. Words.

Other than "Microsoft old boys' network has struck again"...

Bye Nokia. It could've been more fun while it lasted.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
I think Nokia just crapped in their pants for warmth.

It's sad to think that there may never be an upgrade from this N900 phone which even now has no competitors (any others with a GNU userland?) and is well over a year old.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You guys seriously don't know the .NET CLR at all.

I'm willing to bet that Microsoft would let Qt run on WP7 before Nokia lets .NET run on any of their systems.
told you so it won't happen. see the announcement today. :P

i'm a .net developer and i'm very familiar with CLR. however, it doesn't make business sense and the announcement by Elop has proven my point. Elop would be crazy to continue to pursue Qt on WP7.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
bloomberg says nokia stock dropped a massive 10% after the announcment
Actually, it is down a 10.78% (09:29:25 CET):

http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktie...ument=HEX24311

The Following User Says Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I don't care about the N900, I'm happy with it and with this community. But I won't buy a Nokia device wit WP7, and I think not many people will do.

i think if anything, we should hope for something to come out of the ashes of the burning platform and hope it will grow better. we can all bi*ch about how bad MS is and bla bla bla (this is old news anyway, people always say MS is bad) but these companies will continue to do what makes business sense because that rakes in the dollars.

just because a group of consumers think MS sucks doesn't mean they will die. hell, a lot of people think this but MS is still making money.

my best wishes to Nokia + Microsoft. i hope something good comes out of this.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
it all starts here http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...ay-on-the-job/

yeah, N900 with Maemo and C6-01 with S^3 could be my 2 last Nokia phones. both serves great for me. let's see if N900 can have Meego and C6-01 can have S^4 update, if they don't, then I'll have to dump them and switch to other phones
then again, what kind of CEO would talk this way about his own company?

"The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable."

while everybody known that those are complete rubbish and rubbish

Last edited by figaro; 2011-02-11 at 08:32.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Bye Bye Qt
I guess it is time to learn java :/

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
They essentially gave up all their chances to build something unique. Good luck differentiating on "imaging" then. Merging Ovi Store with MS Marketplace? I think they pissed in their pants for warmth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org