Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Barstow, CA
I agree. WiMAX means diddly to me because I live in the middle of nowhere. I will NEVER live in a big city. Heck I'm lucky to get the slowest cell internet connections where I work so what do I care? All the cool gadgets and gizmos will continue to be in the realm of the city folks until a good three years (and that's being generous) after they're introduced. So the WiMAX N810 is just a dressed up version of the N810 to me.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
true but the black is sexy as hell , and i havent figured out how to disassemble the 810 to powdercoat it like i did my 800

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
"Alcatel-Lucent To Build Mobile WiMax Network" - Saw this story on Information Week: http://www.informationweek.com/news/...requestid=4347

Targeting Palm Springs, FL - no dates given.
"The Palm Springs network will operate in the 2.5-GHz spectrum band".
Does this mean the n810we could work there?

-Jay

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jpramlak View Post

-Jay
very likely, yes.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by jpramlak View Post
"Alcatel-Lucent To Build Mobile WiMax Network" - Saw this story on Information Week: http://www.informationweek.com/news/...requestid=4347

Targeting Palm Springs, FL - no dates given.
"The Palm Springs network will operate in the 2.5-GHz spectrum band".

-Jay
The 810wme was really designed for Clearwire/Xohm. But it sounds like this network might be similar to Clearwire, so you might get lucky...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was going to say that a large portion of Canada is covered by Wimax, but a little more research puts that into question. Bell and Rogers co-own a fairly vast network, but it doesn't appear to be "true" WiMAX. The Inukshuk network web page states, "This next generation IP wireless network based on pre-WiMAX standards enables portable megabit services," so that suggests that, even if you did subscribe, and you did have an N810, it might not work. Pretty big gamble.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Bell and Rogers co-own a fairly vast network, but it doesn't appear to be "true" WiMAX. The Inukshuk network web page states, "This next generation IP wireless network based on pre-WiMAX standards enables portable megabit services," so that suggests that, even if you did subscribe, and you did have an N810, it might not work.
I don't have the links handy, but in my previous searches relating to Canadian WiMAX, I found a Motorola press release or two boasting of the use of Expedience to extend Internet access to the Inuit. This and a few other findings led me to propose in the "Canadian Strategy - N810 WiMAX Edition" thread that Rogers' talk of "pre-WiMAX" and "upgrading" indicates that they have been issuing dual-mode subscriber units, are currently running an entirely Expedience network, and are only just now planning a transition to WiMAX at some future date.

If this is correct, then the N810 WiMAX Edition is of no greater value in the great white north than the other tablets, and there's a good reason why we've had no hints from Nokia that Canada might be an upcoming market for their next tablety toy. Were there a ready network a few miles north, I doubt Nokia would be pinning the success of the Halloween Edition on Sprint's shaky promises here in the U.S. They created the tablet series in part to free themselves from the whims and fortunes of the American carriers, after all.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
I tried to contact another company (MDS) claiming "pre-wimax" and haven't received a reply. This is typical, I've sent countless messages to various companies trying to get synchronous service whether wireless or not and I feel lucky to get a reply at all and those replies were typically "no, sorry". Now I'm getting the same about WiMAX. It looks like they are targeting unserved areas and trying to avoid any overlap with their other services. Citywide wireless indeed, nice for publicity but reality is something else.

As for Bell/Rogers, I don't even want to contact them as they will no doubt only support their brick modems or eventually their locked down devices. I really doubt they would offer me something that might give me simple data access at simple prices and let me access my own services that allow me to avoid their services that I have zero interest in.

Pathetic actually. A very promising technology is once again being squandered. But it is still early, someday perhaps. I like the idea enough to consider being an early adopter which isn't my style but I'm not going to beg them to take my money.

This WiMAX Edition video makes no secret of its San Francisco setting. Apart from the numerous obvious visual cliches, the street signs at the corner of Liberty and Sanchez more-or-less confirm it.

I've never heard mention of WiMAX in San Francisco, present or future.

Am I missing something, or is Nokia intentionally misleading its potential customers? How would the latter case serve anyone's interest, even Nokia's?

Norm.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think you may be overthinking the situation, nbyoung. It probably had more to do with logistics.