Ok, how else can i go about editing the MCE.ini file then?

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Even got it set so that now, IMs are green, emails are blue as usual, calls are red, and new sms notifications using gv notifier are purple.

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Even got it set so that now, IMs are green, emails are blue as usual, calls are red, and new sms notifications using gv notifier are purple.
Glad you got it sorted

Originally Posted by blwthompson View Post
Ok, how else can i go about editing the MCE.ini file then?
If you want to change it, you're going to have to do some jumping through hoops and play around with the terminal.

There's a very basic guide here to some of the things you can do with the terminal. Please don't try out all of the examples (e.g. the 'rm -rf' one, and you can ignore number 5 since the guide isn't maemo specific), the terminal gives you a lot of power to break things.

After you're familiar with the stuff in the guide above you should be able to do things like look around the file system. Next step would be to learn a little about one of the text editors.

A version of vi comes built into the n900, so you could look for a basic vi tutorial - vi is a model text editor, which can be a bit confusing for new-comers.
More advice on some of this can be found in this thread.

Another option would be to install leafpad.(if it's available for n900) and using that (as root) to modify the file. Standard disclaimers apply here - doing things as root / editing mce.ini can mess up your device.

Last edited by codeMonkey; 2009-12-23 at 11:39. Reason: added another link

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
For me, I find using emelfm2 as root and viewing and editing using it is much easier.

sry to be a bit off topic but someone mentioned he had the light for incoming pidgin ims. my question is how to get any notification (e.g. vibration) for pidgin, the only thing i have is the status bar plugin.

thx

For me, I find using emelfm2 as root and viewing and editing using it is much easier.
Yeah, unfortunately the emelfm2 port for fremantle isn't looking so great yet, last time I checked it looked like it could really use some fremantlisation.

Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
sry to be a bit off topic but someone mentioned he had the light for incoming pidgin ims. my question is how to get any notification (e.g. vibration) for pidgin, the only thing i have is the status bar plugin.

thx
There was a plugin here for chinook/bora, but I don't use pidgin so I'm not sure how much it will help for fremantle. If there is anything it's probably in testing/development.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
I changed the light for missed calls to red.
When I receive a sms it blinks blue.
Is it possible that the light blinks alternating red and blue?

does it still look on fremantle, like it does on diablo? If so...I dont think it would bother me, as i never use it fullscreen on my N810 so the screen area is roughly the same as it would be fullscreen on the N900. The interface has always been a tad ugly IMO, but Ive gotten used to it over the last couple years.

Originally Posted by tuxian View Post
I changed the light for missed calls to red.
When I receive a sms it blinks blue.
Is it possible that the light blinks alternating red and blue?
For the n810 it looks like you can send triggers between different colour channels. For the n900 there seems to be something similar to send a trigger between engines.

If you get one engine/colour channel to wait for the trigger from the other you could do this.

does it still look on fremantle, like it does on diablo? If so...I dont think it would bother me, as i never use it fullscreen on my N810 so the screen area is roughly the same as it would be fullscreen on the N900. The interface has always been a tad ugly IMO, but Ive gotten used to it over the last couple years.
Mostly the same, but buttons etc are bigger so you only get a couple of lines of files listed.

Screenshot courtesy of bunanson.

No way to make the buttons smaller like it is on diablo?