Active Topics

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bandung, Indonesia
Check Python battery level n900 and PyQt N900 to have a look at what Python can do to Qt.

The dbus battery level is a good alternative if qt mobility makes you mad =))

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ceefour View Post
Now that I have an N900, and looking to port my Qt Mobility apps to it... I realize how wrong my replies were. I'm sorry to have confused you. My previous replies were my experiences on building Qt Mobility on Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 on a desktop... not on scratchbox for Maemo. I didn't even know what scratchbox was or what is Fremantle. ;-) (later on I successfully ported the Qt apps to S60, so I have a bit of experience there too)

(I figured at this point you've figured the solution yourself anyway, right?) :-)
Ive stopped my work on pushing qtmobility libraries to extras, just because there are gurus from Trollltech(Nokia) already working towards this. Im hoping to see QT mobility being released with QT4.6 with PR1.2 , lets wait and see, no official news yet.

I'll be starting to develop Maemo apps in the coming weeks so I shall put you on my radar when things go wrong hehehe =)) I've just started to install scratchbox and stuff on my Ubuntu machine. I'm very new to all this.
no issues, glad to be of help anytime

Congratulations on the battery level widget. I haven't tried it but I truly appreciate your excellent work.
The new QT based battery level widget is here (linked in my signature also), Ive updated it to use the hal daemon instead so users can set a polling interval that saves a lot of battery juice.
Also because qt mobility is still beta and they keep changing code.

I'm pretty worried about developing on a N900 though, as I've used it as my main phone too. Is it "safe" w.r.t. the chances of bricking it?
I wont give you any advice on this , its upto each one of us to take the step or not.
But what I can say is there is a nice wiki to reflash if something goes terribly wrong.
I havent had issues myself, I use extras-devel quite a bit (cautiously).

I'm looking to PyQt as an alternative to hardcore Qt C++ with seemingly endless build problems... What do you think?
If you dont have much experience with C++, I would suggest start with PyQT, its certainly easier to get started.
But C++ apps will def. be faster in execution, and Im not 100% sure if we have all QT bindings for python and any limitations. Check their PyQT website or dig into the pyQT mailing lists.

good luck !
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-03-17 at 11:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
QT Mobility is only scheduled for PR1.3, that was confirmed by one of the QT Mobility (main?) developers, I think I saw this in the "what can we realisticly expect in PR1.2? " Wiki entry and related thread(s).

So It means it's still some time (aka far) away ...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
QT Mobility is only scheduled for PR1.3, that was confirmed by one of the QT Mobility (main?) developers, I think I saw this in the "what can we realisticly expect in PR1.2? " Wiki entry and related thread(s).

So It means it's still some time (aka far) away ...
From the news:

Qt 4.6.2 stable for Maemo 5 with first Mobile APIs
Feb 18, 2010

The 4.6 release from Qt comes with a Symbian installer, Qt APIs for mobile devices and the promised Maemo 5 port.

With this point release, Qt 4.6 brings the so-called Smart Symbian installer on board. It functions as a dependency manager and is meant to reduce the size of large Qt-based Symbian applications. The new Qt APIs are also playing in the mobile league, and will make it easier for developers to equip multi-platform applications with localization, communication and roaming abilities.

Details are available on the Qt mobility project's blog. Both these changes are still in the beta.

Besides the now stable Maemo 5 support, the update contains a number of bug fixes, which can be found in the release notes. Qt 4.6 was released early December 2009, the point one release middle of January. All 4.6.2 products can be found on the download site.
(Anika Kehrer)
Has anyone confirmed that Qt 4.6.2 binary package in Maemo indeed came with Qt Mobility built-in?

(and I'm also wondering if it's trivial to build Qt Mobility SDK in scratchbox)

So we released Qt 4.6.2 for Maemo 5 - what does that mean concretely? It means that we’re done with the Maemo 5 port. Now, the only device that ships with Maemo 5 is the N900. The current N900 firmware (called PR 1.1) ships with Qt 4.5, and that can’t be easily replaced. Just like every Qt release takes some time to enter upstream Linux distributions, it will take a few weeks of testing and integrating for Qt 4.6 to appear with the next N900 firmware update (called PR 1.2). In the meantime, we provide the usual packages for PR 1.1 in Maemo’s extras-devel.

There’s a chicken-egg situation, though. We need a stable release, otherwise PR 1.2 won’t be able to integrate Qt. However, all that’s in the open is PR 1.1, which has some issues that hit us:

* Text color in Hildon banners and notes is wrong (white on yellow)
* Styling issues with QComboBox
* Auto-rotation not working
* Unreliabilities with OpenGL ES

Qt on PR 1.2 doesn’t suffer from these issues. In PR 1.2, Qt will also be installed in /usr, not in its current /opt/qt4-maemo5 ghetto. This means that all Qt 4.6 applications should be rebuild once PR 1.2 comes out (which is a good idea anyway).
No mention of Qt Mobility in there. :-(

Last edited by ceefour; 2010-03-17 at 11:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to ceefour For This Useful Post:
if this is updated information then it shows the status of the qt mobility development for the various platforms.

(and I'm also wondering if it's trivial to build Qt Mobility SDK in scratchbox)
Yes, if you want , you can download the sources from the git for individual modules and build them.
I did find it trivial, but not all of them compiled smoothly for me last year, dont know if things have changed since then.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
if this is updated information then it shows the status of the qt mobility development for the various platforms.
Just to note that Kate Alhola says that the status above is out of date with regard to many QtMobility components.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Just to note that Kate Alhola says that the status above is out of date with regard to many QtMobility components.
thanks for the updates attila77.
Although that mailing list shouldn't have been the place to post updates on QtMobilty, when they have a QT documention page detailing Qt mobility. Easy to be mislead .

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
If you dont have much experience with C++, I would suggest start with PyQT, its certainly easier to get started.
But C++ apps will def. be faster in execution, and Im not 100% sure if we have all QT bindings for python and any limitations. Check their PyQT website or dig into the pyQT mailing lists.
PyQt is roughly following the stable Fremantle Qt release schedule. So we have Qt4.5 support in extras right now, and Qt4.6 support (with all QMaemo5 classes) will appear the moment PR1.2 is released. In the same vein, if QtMobility becomes part of the official release in PR1.3, that's when PyQt will start supporting it.

As for speed, that depends on actual code. Apart from the startup delay, if you are careful in what you do in even handlers and stay away from costly conversions, you can have a speed that is very-very close to native (C++). In practice, it's good enough for everything except the most demanding games and supermassive applications like office

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Might wanna check this: http://maemo.org/community/maemo-dev...mo_5_using_qt/

>Seems that platform compatibility chart is a bit out of date, as AFAIK Maemo 6 will never appear with that name.

It is also out of the date for Maemo 5 features. Messaging, Contacts and Multimedia is going in pipeline
and should appear with most features in external repo very soon. Bearer managementhas
some dependency problem but they should be resolved also soon.

Kate

Overheard from http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010...-beta-package/ :

Oh yeah, in addition to the source package with documentation updates we have sis and debian packages for you to try on your Maemo and Symbian devices.
So it seems installing Qt Mobility beta on Maemo device itself is trivial.