Active Topics

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Wow i'm soooooooooo close!

This is the closest i have got to getting a program working! - i know i have whinged in the past - as i used to do VB programming, so like it all in one place, on a plate so to speak - but this seems almost as good!
Well until i missed something most likely.

Getting a trackback error
ImportError: No module named PyQt4

This happens when i run my demo hello world file.

I'm assuming i need to install something extra on my n900? (I'm guessing an apt-get thingymebob-doodaaa?!?)

Have tried googling, but they all point at me not having something, and they all seem to be linux desktopy related, not sure what the fix would be on my n900. (I know they are similar, but best to ask to make sure!) :S

Must say i can run it on my pc, so not the same error as above
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Getting a trackback error
ImportError: No module named PyQt4
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install python2.5-qt4-gui
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
OMG!!!
I did it!!! - (And in case someone has posted before me - i havnt refreshed!)

Sreached these forums a bit more specifically and found this thread

Now working fine!!!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install python2.5-qt4-gui
Haha, thank you very much - knew someone would beat me too it - but did do it without your post (Not being rude, but feeling slightly proud!!) hehehe

Thankyou so much! - will post screeny of my app soon - (How many hello worlds have you seen before! lol!)

Haha, thank you very much - knew someone would beat me too it - but did do it without your post (Not being rude, but feeling slightly proud!!) hehehe

Thankyou so much! - will post screeny of my app soon - (How many hello worlds have you seen before! lol!)
Hey.. no big deal.. it was my answer in both threads .

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
ANd here's my first ever n900 app!!!

edit - thanks saint, again - all help in both threads is very appreciated!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My question is, what sort of GUI design capability do we have (via Python) without the SDK?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My question is, what sort of GUI design capability do we have (via Python) without the SDK?
tex, don't get all geeky-techno on me now!! lol (Ok i know that q wasn't aimed at me!)

I personally now need to know how to actually code in python i assume...... as in windows/VB i would just double click the form, and code.... (damn there's that plate of easyness again!)

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You just have to code the GUI calls yourself instead of using Qt-Designer. It's more of a pain but still doable.

Have a look here:

http://zetcode.com/tutorials/pyqt4/firstprograms/

All of those are self-contained examples that do all of the drawing and layout right in the code.. instead of importing it from a pyuic4 created py from a UI file.

Obviously.. designing a UI inside Qt-Designer and using pyuic4 is extremely recommended for heavier duty windows.

You actually don't need the SDK at all.. on any machine that runs QT Designer you can use that, then use pyuic4 to convert it to a py and send it to your N900.. then code your main app on your N900 using that py file as a module to be imported.

I did all development of pypianobar in my sig using VIM. Some (myself included) would call that masochistic and crazy.. but I was too lazy to setup an IDE environment and VIM gave me syntax highlighting and indenting.. which is all I needed.

Technically.. that could have all been done on the device itself.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-02-07 at 22:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
I personally now need to know how to actually code in python i assume...... as in windows/VB i would just double click the form, and code.... (damn there's that plate of easyness again!)
This is how QT4 Designer works. You just open a Main Window (FORM) and drag drop your widgets into place and save it.

Then you use pyuic4 as described in the op to automatically convert that to python code for you.

But yes.. at that point you'll need to know how to code Python to actually work with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: