Active Topics

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by Ministeri View Post
I don't by the way have the hildon style in the app in my N900 (all grey). Is there some package I should install?

I'm sorry if I missed something in your earlier messages.
Any chance you launched it from a root shell (as root) rather than as user?

That would give a very chromey (unthemed) feel to the style (rather than whatever style you were expecting).

EDit: now that you've posted the screenshot I'd say this is definitely the case. Probably when you installed and created the link as root in /usr/bin you didn't leave root before running the app.

Last edited by mr id; 2010-05-18 at 22:46. Reason: overlapping posting, appeared out of sequence

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
That doesn't look ... nice. At all. Functional but not nice.

I have no idea why no extra theming is done.

Would be awesome to see an experimental .deb

Would LOVE to give this a try

Originally Posted by poka64 View Post
Looks good, but the sound stutters right now when I look through my playlists or try to multitask with other apps.

Keep up the good work
When I use it, I get a short stutter when the screen dims (which seems common) and when cover art is loaded (if it takes too long). I can scroll around in search results, for example, without a problem.

I haven't done any special testing with other applications running at the same time. Did you try anything in particular?

I use a, perhaps, too intensive way to keep the progress bar updated while playing (by forcing GTK to handle all pending redraw events every second and invalidating the time and progress bar as soon as I get a timer tick from despotify (typically once a second)).

Since I use PulseAudio for sound, a lot of CPU is spent unencrypting the data, unpacking the data and then playing the data. No special buffering is done.

Thank you for the feedback.

Hi

Got mine working fine with your instructions. Mine stutters as well when the screen goes dim (which is common problem, i've heard that fix is coming in future to N900 in general, has anyone else heard such?).

Sometime it stutters for no apparent reason (not touching phone or using any apps that should use lot of power). I'll post more if i find something related.

Not sure if related to stutters but i get errors to my xterminal:
pulse.c: pa_simple_write() failed: invalid argument

As for the features:

Shuffle would be nice, another thing i miss is ability to sort playlist by artist or title.

For the last, big thanks for the program, it is great and i hope you continue developing it!

--Markku

More reporting:

Didn't work that well on a car, probably more issue with available bandwidth on move than with footify, is it possible to buffer?

Crashed once with segmentation fault.

Playlists loaded on first use but now when i use footify playlists tab is empty, no playlists. I still got them in spotify client though.

--Markku

@muhvi

Random stutter while not doing anything special is often caused by a slight spike in network latency. Since I don't buffer anything, this is a problem for the client. Buffering will be added when I have the time to develop a stable buffer data structure that works well with the needs of a client like this.

Playlists are only loaded once, at startup, so if you didn't get them, the Spotify server either didn't get the command or the answer didn't make it back to you. Restarting the client is the only way to fix that as of now. If it happens again (no playlists on startup), please try to do a search to see if commands still are sent to the Spotify server. This might very well be part of me not properly understanding Despotify.

"pulse.c: pa_simple_write() failed: invalid argument" means that the client was expecting data but there was none so the PulseAudio backend complains. I've left this output there to get some sign of life if everything gets stuck for some reason.

Sorting playlists means to get sorting in GtkTreeView to work. This is by no means impossible but a little complicated.

Shuffle is at the bottom of my TODO list since I never use it myself.

If it only has crashed once with a segmentation fault during your testing, I'm happy. You seem to have used it in different environments with changing network status. Good tests!

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you like it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
@Joorin, thanks for this. It's really fast an and seems rather stable on my phone.

Anyway, the gtk buttons are rather flat and ugly so you might want to use hildon buttons instead.
Check it out here: http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/5.0-fi...donButton.html
they work pretty much the same but looks much nicer.

I could convert them for you if you don't feel like doing it yourself, also possibly do some packaging if you don't feel like doing that.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

@mece

Using Hildon buttons never occurred to me. I thought all GTK components would be rendered using the Hildon look anyways and just assumed that what I got was what to expect. Silly me.

I'll change the buttons as soon as I get back to the code and see what happens. My original plan was to use bitmaps and get the "classic" look with "<<", ">", "||" and ">>" but then I'd have to start GIMP and actually make them and that was more boring than coding so I skipped that part.

I appreciate your offer when it comes to packaging. I've spent the time needed to learn how to package with RPM but knowing how .deb works would be good too so I'll see if I can make it work.

If I fail, I'll ask you kindly for help.

Thank you for feedback and suggestions. I'm glad you like it.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
@mece
[...]
I appreciate your offer when it comes to packaging. I've spent the time needed to learn how to package with RPM but knowing how .deb works would be good too so I'll see if I can make it work.

If I fail, I'll ask you kindly for help.

Thank you for feedback and suggestions. I'm glad you like it.
It's super simple if you do the initial debian build files with pypackager. Let me know if you need a sample build file.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.