Active Topics

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mexico, Monterrey.
But, it will be betters if the people participating in this contest, make the app compatible with PR 1.1, otherwise, people will have to wait 6 or 7 months to try it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mothmanex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Originally Posted by manavs View Post
I'm interested but don't have very many ideas. It would be helpful to post links to wiki/tmo topics aimed at beginners for people like me who know and want to develop but just not how to do so on the maemo platform.
+1

And I have a suggestion. Can we ask developers to publish their app idea in advance?

This will help in achieving two things:

- Avoiding the case where more developers work on the same kind of app unknowingly (wastes lot of valuable time and doesn't help community in the end).
- Helps judges (and/or future-users of the apps of course ) know what is coming for them.

To understand what kind of details can be posted, we can use this thread as a reference.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33974

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
+1

{Snip....}

- Avoiding the case where more developers work on the same kind of app unknowingly (wastes lot of valuable time and doesn't help community in the end).

{Snip....}
What's wrong with having more than one app of same type??

Isn't that one way we've gotten better apps of a type, by having multiple versions of same type of app, allowing users to compare them and select which one is best for their needs?

I'd be glad to see a bunch of the same type from different developers to see how they dealt with the same set of issues....

Anyway, just my 2¢.....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
dont know if this will help but ive sent this link to nokia conversations (via twitter) in hope that they see what is being done here and hopefully "get the word out" a bit more...i cant develop or code but id like to think im still helping in some way...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Posted up on Nokiausers for you

http://www.nokiausers.net/Maemo/The-...en-to-all.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Posted up on Nokiausers for you

http://www.nokiausers.net/Maemo/The-...en-to-all.html
Submitted to engadget.com (maybe they will post it)..

Also, I am willing to host anything on my site/server if you need help in something like that..

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
id love to do a app...but getting married so will be missing from june 5th....rats! maybe i should just postpone it?

might try do something quick and cheerfull anyway before then!

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
What's wrong with having more than one app of same type??

Isn't that one way we've gotten better apps of a type, by having multiple versions of same type of app, allowing users to compare them and select which one is best for their needs?

I'd be glad to see a bunch of the same type from different developers to see how they dealt with the same set of issues....

Anyway, just my 2¢.....

I see that we both have a slightly different opinion about this. I'd rather have 1 twitter + 1 facebook + 1 digg app than have 3 twitter apps. They may not be top-notch in the first release but each of these applications can/will be improved further by developers based on the feedback from users. But hey, not everybody feels this way.

As a noob developer who is slowly picking up embedded development, my opinion is biased

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

How about answering some requests? Then maybe we wouldn't be scratching our heads.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52585

or

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49664

Last edited by Soulaxe; 2010-05-20 at 07:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to Soulaxe For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to DaSilva For This Useful Post: