Active Topics

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
Great guide, thanks. It makes me interested in programming on my N900, I got tired of waiting for PR1.2 and never regained the motivation after it finally came out...

One question, though. The simulator part does not work for me, it fails every time with a build error (ui_mainwindow.h error 127) but deploying to N900 works fine. Strange...

Edit: Oops, I didn't mention I was trying that on MS Windows. On Linux it does not work either, though. Same thing, simulator fails but deploying to N900 works. In Linux I get this:

Code:
Starting /home/paul/NokiaQtSDK/Projects/HelloWorld-build-maemo/HelloWorld...
/scratchbox/tools/bin/misc_runner: /targets/links/scratchbox.config: No such file or directory
/home/paul/NokiaQtSDK/Projects/HelloWorld-build-maemo/HelloWorld exited with code 126
Hi.

I am a newbie to all this so have a couple of questions:

1. Did you install Scratchbox?
2. Did you install as per the first post?
3. Have you updated Qt? (Help -> Start Updater)
3. In Tools -> Options ->Qt4, what is listed
4. In Tools -> Options ->Qt4, when you click on "Simulator Qt for GCC (Nokia Qt SDK)", is there a green tick next to Debugging Helper? If not, click Rebuild.
5. If you click on projects on the left hand side, what is shown in the two target tabs/images?

The only issue I encountered was that the g++ was not installed and it would fail to compile.

Also, looking at your output, Qt is trying to compile using Scratchbox, so the issue will be in Tools -> Options -> Qt4...

Let me know if the above helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheAccountant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by TheAccountant View Post
Hi.

I am a newbie to all this so have a couple of questions:
Hi, thanks for your help. I'm new as well so I appreciate already the guidance you provided!

It seems this bug is perhaps the same as what I'm experiencing:

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTSIM-10

It says fixed in 1.0 RC but that's clearly not working for me in 1.0 RC. So I guess I will give up and won't waste any more time for now.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
--SNIP--
Therefore, we should deploy a key to ensure we can simply load Mad-Developer on the N900 and start using it.

Note: Encrypted keys are not supported.

Click on Generate SSH Key.
--SNIP--
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "encrypted keys", given that they are "encrypTION keys" by definition. If you're referring to the Qt Creator not allowing you to set a passphrase, then you're correct on that point, but I'm not certain if keys with a passphrase won't work if you create and deploy them manually. Have you checked that? In any case, the whole point of key-based authentication in this case is to avoid typing a passphrase.

Thanks for posting this, it looks good. You should probably add this to the Wiki (or merge it if there is already something similar).

One further suggestion is to mention the SSH Switcher Status Applet package, which allows you to easily shut down the SSH daemon to save battery life without mucking around in the terminal.

I got the simulator to work in Windows XP by using Visual Studio 2008. Using the MinGW simulator fails every time. The simulator is buggy as hell though (even the simple Hello World does not work properly) but at least it runs

Just to say that I have successfully installed this using OP method on OpenSUSE 11.2 also.

Just one minor edit to OP.
When you deploy the ssh key, you need to have password checked, not key in the dialog. Once the key has been successfully deployed, then you can use "key".

This is confusing as you have to check "key" first so you can activate the browse button.

Last edited by mikec; 2010-06-23 at 14:06.

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step! I hope you don't mind if I quibble a bit with your title and say this is "Maemo 5". Maemo 4 still has some development going on (not completely dead yet).

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
.... but I'm not certain if keys with a passphrase won't work if you create and deploy them manually. Have you checked that? In any case, the whole point of key-based authentication in this case is to avoid typing a passphrase.
I have not checked that. I was glad to get the thing working let alone worry about securing it. To be honest, I think just generating them through QT and deploying them is sufficient... I mean its secure enough... isn't it????

...Thanks for posting this, it looks good. You should probably add this to the Wiki (or merge it if there is already something similar).
I was thinking of adding it as a wiki, but I would like to keep one updated guide rather then have several.

I do however need to go back through it and clean up some instructions and get it into a nice format. Plus maybe throw in some screen shots if I have time.

One further suggestion is to mention the SSH Switcher Status Applet package, which allows you to easily shut down the SSH daemon to save battery life without mucking around in the terminal.
Ahh that's a good point! I currently have it installed its super quick to get the N900 setup. I just click wifi-switcher, select my wifi and then click on the mad-dev link on my phone and im ready. I will add a note when I get a chance...

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I got the simulator to work in Windows XP by using Visual Studio 2008. Using the MinGW simulator fails every time. The simulator is buggy as hell though (even the simple Hello World does not work properly) but at least it runs
That's the point! I give nokia at least 3-5 iterations of QT before its integrated enough to be an easy ride!

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
...Just one minor edit to OP.
When you deploy the ssh key, you need to have password checked, not key in the dialog. Once the key has been successfully deployed, then you can use "key".

This is confusing as you have to check "key" first so you can activate the browse button.
Just had a quick read and I don't ask you change to a key... Just test with password selected. Then click on generate ssh keys, then deploy and then change back to "key" and test.

How should I change it to make it clearer? I could add bullet points??

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Thanks for the excellent step-by-step! I hope you don't mind if I quibble a bit with your title and say this is "Maemo 5". Maemo 4 still has some development going on (not completely dead yet).
:-) I was thinking about the title for quite some time as I was procrastinating quite a bit! It took days to type all that up!

I can change it if you like!?

I assume Qt will work just the same and Maemo 5 is compatible for Maemo 4??

Whilst I am learning Qt, I hope to give some time to test apps in the testing repository and help get more apps for the masses...

BTW, the Qt updater is showing a few updates including Madde, QT Simulator and Qt Mobility API.

Thanks.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
If you stick to using downward compatible API and classes, then yes, a QT app should run equally well on n8x0 and n900.

Otoh, if you use qt-mobility or some new API from qt>=4.6 then anything less than the n900 will fail to load.
Other than qtm, I know at least one module thats changed enough to cause problems between n810 and n900: QtWebkit.

Also:
1. Can you add the architecture of your Linux machine? I ask this because I remember reading that scratchbox does not work on x86_64
2. I've got a x86_64 box and I can confirm that the Nokia QT SDK 64-bit version works perfectly well.

Last edited by uvatbc; 2010-06-24 at 18:02.

Now SDK 1.0 is released. Simulator still doesn't work for me, though (qtcreator launcher seems unchanged from the RC anyway). I guess I will file a bugreport at Qt bugtracker about it.

I have not checked that. I was glad to get the thing working let alone worry about securing it. To be honest, I think just generating them through QT and deploying them is sufficient... I mean its secure enough... isn't it????

I was thinking of adding it as a wiki, but I would like to keep one updated guide rather then have several.

I do however need to go back through it and clean up some instructions and get it into a nice format. Plus maybe throw in some screen shots if I have time.

Ahh that's a good point! I currently have it installed its super quick to get the N900 setup. I just click wifi-switcher, select my wifi and then click on the mad-dev link on my phone and im ready. I will add a note when I get a chance...

That's the point! I give nokia at least 3-5 iterations of QT before its integrated enough to be an easy ride!

Just had a quick read and I don't ask you change to a key... Just test with password selected. Then click on generate ssh keys, then deploy and then change back to "key" and test.

How should I change it to make it clearer? I could add bullet points??

:-) I was thinking about the title for quite some time as I was procrastinating quite a bit! It took days to type all that up!

I can change it if you like!?

Whilst I am learning Qt, I hope to give some time to test apps in the testing repository and help get more apps for the masses...

BTW, the Qt updater is showing a few updates including Madde, QT Simulator and Qt Mobility API.

Thanks.
If you follow the steps exactly, it asks you to click "Browse". Well Browse is greyed out until you click "key". So the steps should be

1. click "key"
2.click "browse" ......steps as per guide
3.click "password"
4. steps as you outlined.

I found that I got stuck in a loop of trying to connect to my N900 cause I had clicked key so that I could do the browse bit, then when I tried to deploy key it was not connecting cause I had key checked instead of password.