Active Topics

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
aapo, it really makes sense to start on top of CSSU-thumb and use thumb binaries from the very beginning. It is an immense amount of work to migrate from 4.2.1 to 4.7.2, why do it?

on the other hand - did you succeed to make libc6 localization work with gcc 4.7.2?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@Zaerc: Closed nokia pulseaudio modules are compatible only with maemo pulseaudio version. So when you update pulseaudio you will break full maemo system (cellular gsm/3g calls, ohmd, libplayback, mediaplayer, ...)

Rather do not touch pulseaudio, instead try updating other system/generic packages which are not patched by Nokia.
IIRC, the patch for PA is floating over the inet, one may try to forward-port it

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
IIRC, the patch for PA is floating over the inet, one may try to forward-port it
some nokia pulse libs are closed and are uncompatible with last pulseaudio. Nemo/mer people decided to drop that closed parts so gsm/3g calls now have very bad quallity...

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
some nokia pulse libs are closed and are uncompatible with last pulseaudio. Nemo/mer people decided to drop that closed parts so gsm/3g calls now have very bad quallity...
Sure, but if the patch that we have in maemo PA can be forward-ported, I guess those modules will continue to function. Or there can be made some "compatibility layer" to support those closed parts with newer PA. Not saying I know how to do it or that it will be easy, but in theory this should work

Community SSU developer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
There is API/ABI problem with last pulseadio and nokia closed bits... I think it will not be easy to revert changes...

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the heads up on the trouble ahead with pulseaudio guys, others have warned me as well. I'm doing it anyway, if only just to see how far I can get and what problems I'm going to run into. Sorry for the pigheadedness...

And the comments so far have been helpful, but maybe we should save the pulseaudio discussion for another thread?

If you want, I can generate wiki page of all preinstalled/sdk/open packages.
Eventhough you're not offering it specifically to me, I think that would be extremely helpfull!

Old gcc in scratchbox has some bugs and is old. Rather use new gcc which has fixed bugs and have thumb2 support for n900.
I'm using the SDK without scratchbox, and one of the things I'd like to do is to upgrade the toolkit (gcc, glibc, etc...) once I get over my pending pulseaudio faillure .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaerc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zaerc View Post
Eventhough you're not offering it specifically to me, I think that would be extremely helpfull!
I attached list of all preinstalled packages (generated by maemo-package-scripts.tar.gz) in file installed-packages.txt.gz
Attached Files
File Type: gz installed-packages.txt.gz (7.9 KB, 115 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
<snip>
I'm figuring out optification and I think most clean way is to change /usr to the /dev/mmcblk0p2. Will this solve whole optification?
Change / to /dev/mmcblk0p2, and avoid the hurt and pain and complications of having only a 256MB rootfs and making preinit scripts that mount /usr.

I think this project is very doable, with all the components being upgraded in CSSU, it makes sense to upgrade the entire core of the OS.

By the way, are you using the Maemo SDK Scratchbox to build this? I suggest using a fresh rootstrap of Debian 6 as build environment, and then building the GCC 4.7 Thumb cross-toolchain, and finally installing any build dependency libraries needed for Fremantle+Hildon.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2013-03-09 at 23:21.

are the nemo/mer guys using different to pulseaudio setup to that in the meego gitorious repo? iirc there were some pa modules and the associated libs on there with references to maemo.

The package list is a must, but don't forget all the extra buld dependancies. some debian apps may have features enabled we don't need. i tried patching debian and rebuild all its toolchain for i686, so the entire system would be optimized, not just main packages like kernel and glibc. iirc apt/dpkg required a translation module (perl/python) which gave massive headaches in terms of rebuilding other packages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
but updating the SDK fully to Lenny (Debian 5) would already be a good leap forward in my opinion.
I'm using the SDK without scratchbox, and one of the things I'd like to do is to upgrade the toolkit (gcc, glibc, etc...) once I get over my pending pulseaudio faillure .
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
By the way, are you using the Maemo SDK Scratchbox to build this? I suggest using a fresh rootstrap of Debian 6 as build environment, and then building the GCC 4.7 Thumb cross-toolchain, and finally installing any build dependency libraries needed for Fremantle+Hildon.

I'm using scratchbox (Hathor) with Debian-6.0 tools, as wiki suggest http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...K_Installation . When I use gcc-4.7 I use this: http://wiki.maemo.org/CSSU-thumb_too....7.2-linaro%29

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Be active in the merproject instead of reinvent the wheel.
There are already my code in mer/nemo, but Maemo is still only really working OS for N900. I hope I'm not reinventing the wheel. I'm complementing what CSSU (and others) are doing.

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
My proposal in such a project would be to keep as much compatibility as possible with existing applications, but without being as cautious as CSSU must be.
Yes. This is the plan.

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
on the other hand - did you succeed to make libc6 localization work with gcc 4.7.2?
I'm working on it.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post: