Posts: 94 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
First a warning:
The software you want to install is not ready for end users and it is even not yet in extras-devel. Please read this first:
Seriously: don't send users out of Extras without a big warning

Update: ussd-widget is now in the extras-devel/testing repository. You can install it by adding the extras-devel/testing repository

There are two applications for ussd:
ussd-widget: A widget on your homescreen. You can use to display your account balance for example.
ussd-pad: An application with a dialpad. You can enter an ussd-code and see the result

First you need to be root to use dpkg to install the .debs you download from garage.maemo.org, so you have to install rootsh form the maemo extras repository.

Install ussd-pad:

Go to https://garage.maemo.org/projects/ussd-widget/ and download the .debs for ussd-common, pexpect and ussd-pad and save them in your Documents folder

Open x-term and type:
Code:
sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs/.documents
dpkg -i pexpect_2.3.0-1_all.deb
dpkg -i ussd-common_0.0.1-0_all.deb
dpkg -i ussd-pad_2010.01.07_armel.deb
You can use the tab button or press ctrl+i to autocomplete directorys and filenames.

Now you can try the ussd-pad application. It might not work if the answer from your provider contains non-ascii characters (like öäü), in this case you can try this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=101. ussdquery.py is in /usr/bin. Danger! Shoddy programming!

Install ussd-widget:

Go to https://garage.maemo.org/projects/ussd-widget/ and download the .debs for ussd-common, pexpect and ussd-widget and save them in your Documents folder. If you installed ussd-pad before you dont need to install ussd-common and pexpect again.

ussd-widget needs two dependencies to work: python-hildondesktop and hildon-desktop-python-loader. They are in the maemo extras repository.
Open x-term and type (you can use tab to autocomplete the filenames:
Code:
sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs/.documents
apt-get install python-hildondesktop
apt-get install hildon-desktop-python-loader
dpkg -i pexpect_2.3.0-1_all.deb
dpkg -i ussd-common_0.0.1-0_all.deb
dpkg -i ussd-widget_0.0.4-0_all.deb
Now a widget on your desktop appears, configure it with an ussd-code. Mine shows my account balance.

Last edited by Marshall Banana; 2010-04-01 at 20:22. Reason: ussd-widget now in extras-devel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marshall Banana For This Useful Post:
My respect for developers here. I still can’t understand why it was not implemented even after major update by Nokia.

I used lot of business applications based on USSD before. For example I have dual-number SIM. To switch from work number to personal number I had to send USSD command. And believe me, there is no easier way to do this. It was possible to store USSD commands into phone book. It would be even easier to use with N900 because there is possible to add contacts on the desktop. But surprise, none of these commands work.

Is it really that hard to let phone to dial USSD command instead of phone number? I don’t expect even any response, just need to send the command. As I understand these applications do not help me to achieve this?

Henry

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lendurhenry View Post
I used lot of business applications based on USSD before. For example I have dual-number SIM. To switch from work number to personal number I had to send USSD command. And believe me, there is no easier way to do this. It was possible to store USSD commands into phone book. It would be even easier to use with N900 because there is possible to add contacts on the desktop. But surprise, none of these commands work.

Henry
If the code that is used for changing the number is a message to the provider like, for example: *109*(Phonenumber)# you can put ussd-widget on your desktop and configure it to send this code. But you will have to change the configuration every time you want to change your number bcause at the moment every ussd-widget you put on your desktop uses the same config file.

It would be nice if a future ussd-widget version would support multiple instances with different config files.

Last edited by Marshall Banana; 2010-01-25 at 20:32. Reason: Typo

This works like this:
*200*0# - activates main number
*200*1# - activates additional number
*200*1*600# - activates additional number for 10minutes (600sec).
*200*8# - hides your number while originating call
*200*9# - makes you unavailable from other number

So I need multiple shortcuts in the desktop. It would be nice to see a conformation message like Maemo shows warnings (in the yellow line over screen) but this is not important.

doesnt work for me

Last edited by blurbi; 2010-01-26 at 00:44.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
cd is case sensitive, you need to type MyDocs, not mydocs

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
cd is case sensitive, you need to type MyDocs, not mydocs
i corrected it and it doesnt work...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Ah, I just read the post you're probably referring to (#121), so it's cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents

Originally Posted by msa View Post
just an info for german tmobile prepaid-users:
you can dial the number 2000 as well!
its free and a voice tells you how much credit is left on your sim.
For Vodafone, is the equivalent number: 22922 -- can you confirm?

--denis

Originally Posted by sgbirch View Post
If anyone answers this question could they also tell us how to add a pause to a dialing sequence? This is important if you want to set up a contacts entry to navigate a voice menu.

For example, if a company always answers and says "press one for an operator" one would like a contacts entry which does this:

1. Dial the company's number
2. Delay 2 secs (HOW DO YOU DO THIS ????)
3. Send '1'
If you are syncing with outlook, you may add it there... At least it works for me.

Tags
dial, dialing, lack of phone features, lack of quality control, sms, telephony, ussd