Notices

I don't have much artistic talent or time, but by searching for freely available icons on the web and making my own fullscreen icon, I was able to come up with the attached image.

I can't redistribute the icons themselves, but something like this would be nice.

I actually swapped the GPS enable/disable icons, since I found the default arrangement confusing (ie. if I see a picture of a satellite, I expect it to indicate that GPS is currently enabled, and that pressing it will disable GPS).
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electric Lungfish For This Useful Post:
This might be useful to you... contact me if you want the PSD with transparency / vector layers.

You'll notice I've split off auto-centre and auto-rotate, to make them usable in 1 click instead of 3-4 clicks. (You'll also notice I have no friggin idea what "Auto-centre: Lead" means, so I have completely omitted it )

I think the very first button ("act on next clicked place") ought to disappear entirely, and should be the default behaviour if you touch anywhere inside the map without dragging.

Much, much more needs to be done to Mappero in terms of usability, but for now this is a good start.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martyfmelb For This Useful Post:
I wanted to contribute to the community so I put together some icons. I am planning to eventually create a Flash demo on how to use the app.

Your feedback is very appreciated.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to PapaGeek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi all, thanks for your proposals!
I'm planning on changing the icon set for the next version, but I've to say that I'm very undecided about which ones to pick. Being that there are so many installations of mappero out there, I'm afraid of taking a choice which will disappoint many users, in case our tastes don't match.

So, I'd like to ask you all to express your opinions on the icon sets which have been posted throughout this thread. Tell what you like, what you don't, and if of course you have some suggestion of how you'd change this or that icon, please do so.

Or just add one "Thanks!" to the post whose icons you like the most.

Please help me not to take an unpopular decision :-)

Ciao,
Alberto

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Hi, I am an occasional user of Mappero as I know where I'm going most of the time, and generally use Mappero for the Google traffic layer. Especially this last week or two with the bad weather in the UK.

I quite like Martymeflb's and Electric Lungfishs icon sets, but would prefer the contrast against the map to be higher, as like the current set, sometimes hard to pick up at a glance. Colour or a higher contrast on the background may help here. Or a simple set of high contrast icons. I would actually like to see a simple high contrast icon theme based on and similar to the default theme's icons.

the hardest icons to understand currently are the GPS icon, as when it i on it appears to be crossed out, or switched off which is counter intuitive. reversing this would improve things. Or have a sat dish with no "waves" when not receiving, and "waves" when on.

Unfortunately I do not have much artistic talent, but this may hopefully inspire someone else.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Sorry for being a necromancer, as usual. Could be my new nickname...

Anyways, what's the situation?
I'm a fan of the program, but the 3d-ish buttons weren't my boatfloat. I quickly did mashed these up yesterday:

Too bad I noticed this thread only after that; I quite like the ones martyfmelb posted.

Originally Posted by martyfmelb View Post
This might be useful to you... contact me if you want the PSD with transparency / vector layers.
martyfmelb, I'd be very interested in these icons, if for nothing else, just my own personal mapper/mappero use.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 2011-05-30 at 09:11.