Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yep, a few minutes would be normal. (also no idea 'how' long, last flash around 2013?)

Nothing wrong in the log.
So pichlo's advice, once again, is worth a try (pull battery, wait, push in again; that cured a few weird quirks for me already).
But I am afraid this time it may not help and it could be some HW fault. Possibly open it, clean from dust and check connections/cables?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
isn't it normal for it to 'hang' at dots for a long time on first boot? how long did you wait? (I haven't flashed since 2011 .. so I might have forgotten by now)
As peterleinchen says, the first boot takes a few minutes. I don't remember how long exactly, could be 10 minutes or more. But the OP said overnight. That is not normal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I have no idea about CSSU-devel.

i left the phone all night without battery, then started this morning, boots, appear nokia logo, five dots animation, nokia handshake, locale settings, five dots animation again, and finally the desktop, then reboots forever

Flasing that files for a global version, will fix it?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to dbilbao For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I cannot see anything wrong. Did you unplug the USB cable after the last flash? The last thing I would try is take out the battery and SD card if there is one, wait at least 30 minutes, put the battery back in (but not the SD card) and try booting again. If that still fails, then I give up
I will give that a try and report back.

Is there any way to flash backups now.. I cant find the recovery screen? I have a few backups from long ago when I used this device for a daily driver now I just use it for fun.. as you all know this is one of the best devices for hacking / packet injection with little to no configuration needed for it to work.

Before I starting all this flashing I did try to restore a backup and It failed I forget the errors so then I just decided to start fresh and flash with new images (combined/eMMC)
How is recovery accessed or reflashed?

I dont think this is an issue but I did a battery bypass by soldering +/- wires to the phone where the battery connects so its get power by a usb cable. Assuming the eMMC doesn't need power to keep storage.

Last edited by Diehardn900; 2017-01-19 at 04:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diehardn900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Diehardn900 View Post

I dont think this is an issue but I did a battery bypass by soldering +/- wires to the phone where the battery connects so its get power by a usb cable. Assuming the eMMC doesn't need power to keep storage.
I DO think so

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Diehardn900 View Post
Sorry, you did what? I am not 100% sure I understand. Do you mean you soldered the USB power directly to the battery terminals? That would be a sure way of frying your phone (the battery voltage is about 4.2V max; USB gives 5V). I hope this is not what you meant.

The N900 needs the battery to boot. It can be replaced with a dummy circuitry but it is not as simple as just the +/- wires, even with the correct voltage. The middle terminal is also important. The phone uses it to check the battery capacity.

The eMMC is non-volatile and does not need a power backup any more than any other flash storage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I DO think so
the name "Diehardn900" just got real.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Sorry, you did what? I am not 100% sure I understand. Do you mean you soldered the USB power directly to the battery terminals? That would be a sure way of frying your phone (the battery voltage is about 4.2V max; USB gives 5V). I hope this is not what you meant.

The N900 needs the battery to boot. It can be replaced with a dummy circuitry but it is not as simple as just the +/- wires, even with the correct voltage. The middle terminal is also important. The phone uses it to check the battery capacity.

The eMMC is non-volatile and does not need a power backup any more than any other flash storage.
I have set voltage for the correct amount needed by the phone to power. This is not the issue

The Following User Says Thank You to Diehardn900 For This Useful Post:
And the middle pin?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
And the middle pin?
Connect thru a 110k resistor to GND

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post: