Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by larux View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/11/n...ontent=Twitter

King is back!
Holy hell, if the people on Engadget are supporting it, quite simply if this doesn't get promoted and supported, Elop is on another planet

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
I know it's not actual MeeGo, but damn, it is a high end OS that presumably can be upgraded to full MeeGo when the time is right
Its Nokia. Don't presume anything or you're going to get f***ed in the a**.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Yes for the masses and idiots that buys "newest coolest specs" and Androids because of dualcore it "may look bad"
It doesn't matter. They will be criticized for being behind if it uses a 2 year old single core processor. Personally, I'd like a spec bump beyond a basic clock increase.

But fact is this handset can be more optimized for the CPU/GPU than new hardware with DualCore and so on.
You can only get so much out of optimization, after which you must improve the hardware.

Are we even sure Android is optimized for those DualCores comming atm?
Doubtful. But MeeGo inherently will be from the get-go.

I mean N900 still can compete with some crap Androids released today.
Yes, compete with crap. That's exactly what Nokia wants to do.

Or you could be right, and Nokia could just dump a sad, underpowered device out there and walk away to promise a brighter future for Windows Phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Seeing this and all the hype about MeeGo/Maemo 6 over on that engadget page really makes me sad all over again that Nokia went WP7. This could have so, so much hype and word of mouth promotion. And even then, i have no problem with them making WP7, but i would like clarification on the situation, because Elop hasn't said whether or not they'll make exclusively WP7, or just replace Symbian with it and also have MeeGo when it's ready. It's all speculated so far.

And of course the other question is that of apps - will the Maemo 5 apps run on it, will the Intel apps run on it, and will big names develop for it?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Well this spec discussion has been discussed so many times so why not repeat my self like everybody else.

As this will very likely be the last and first MeeGo device from Nokia why not have some real umph inside. If it will have HDMI out(it better have) there's also things like pushing 1080 out of that port that example OMAP36xx simply can't do.

Also while i totally agree that the Android CPU madness isn't keeping up with the software at all at the moment and unfortunately Apple will come behind Android with iphone 5 and again actually got soft that's ready for it. Part of Nokia's receant downfall is this "it's enough" thing. So far it unfortunately just hasn't been enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Seeing this and all the hype about MeeGo/Maemo 6 over on that engadget page really makes me sad all over again that Nokia went WP7. This could have so, so much hype and word of mouth promotion. And even then, i have no problem with them making WP7, but i would like clarification on the situation, because Elop hasn't said whether or not they'll make exclusively WP7, or just replace Symbian with it and also have MeeGo when it's ready. It's all speculated so far.

And of course the other question is that of apps - will the Maemo 5 apps run on it, will the Intel apps run on it, and will big names develop for it?
The opensource community who prefer the most open platform will develop for it. Even if some apps will is closed Maemo/Meego is more open than Android.

Apps writted in Qt(Quick) in Maemo will work from begining. apps written in old Gtk+ API will have problems but it should be that hard for the community to add those libs in extras-devel.

Both OS:es is using X11 and most of the Linux libs are the same as in Meego/Maemo.

I dont see any problems with community not supporting it. Problem is more like: when the hell Nokia will release it? or IF they even will release it?

I mean the FCC seems true but it could be some ****ing WP7 prototype too.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-05-11 at 21:49.

i really don't understand all the scepticism about whether it will get released.

Nokia's own released documents indicate an ongoing investment into Meego/QT in the region of $200m/year.

Meego hasn't gone, it has just failed to become Nokia's major ecosystem with which it intends to compete with IOS and android.

http://jedibeeftrix.wordpress.com/20...-qt-and-meego/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Nokia's own released documents indicate an ongoing investment into Meego/QT in the region of $200m/year.
And they've already announced that they'll be getting out of it completely within the next year and a half. Microsoft doesn't want Nokia to have any outs like MeeGo.

This will be released, and they'll support it until it gets EOL'd and walk away.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
The opensourtce community who prefer the most open platform will develop for it.

Apps writted in Qt(Quick) in Maemo will work from begining. apps written in old Gtk+ API will have problems but it should be that hard for the community to add those libs in extras-devel.

Both OS:es is using X11 and most of the Linux libs are the same as in Meego/Maemo.

I dont see any problems with community not supporting it. Problem is more like: when the hell Nokia will release it? or IF they even will release it?

I mean the FCC seems true but it could be some ****ing WP7 prototype too.
So in other words, it'll be a community effort for apps again?

They'll release it, and as has been said, i see little reason for WP7 requiring such hardware. Nokia has stated it will release a MeeGo device, this is no doubt it. Besides, i'm pretty sure that a WP7 device by Nokia will be called a 'W8' or something

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And they've already announced that they'll be getting out of it completely within the next year and a half. Microsoft doesn't want Nokia to have any outs like MeeGo.

This will be released, and they'll support it until it gets EOL'd and walk away.
They'd be fools for doing it. Just about everyone who has made a Windows phone has eventually moved on to another OS. Betting everything on an OS that you don't own is potential disaster.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland