Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
The N900 is better in most everything.

-Screen sharpness
-User interface
-Input (finger touch, Stylus, Virtual keyb + mouse, Hardware keyb, bluetooth, it's got it all)
-Useful programs that make full use of the above programs

The N9 is great

-great battery life
-screen colours in high sunlight
-screen is bigger for watching movies
-show off interface to make iPhone users jealous, swipe is really nice (but productivity wise adds nothing to the excellent Meamo 5 interface)
-improved overall system performance, faster MMC
-pocketability: it is much flatter
-multitasking hugely improved due to 1GB RAM and hopefully some optimisations in software under the hood.

What I love the most about the N9:

It is Maemo based and this time it got the RAM memory it deserved.

Despite having many full websites opened in standard browser (until the device says: no more allowed) + many full websites in Firefox mobile, the phone calls still come through.

Hence the device is worthy of the name "phone" by my criteria.

What I despise the most:
No hardware camera shutter button.
Where are the arrow keys for navigating terminal / text files?
The screen, easily the worst seen on a flagship mobile phone to date.
Nokia claims 16,7 million colours but that is a lie.

All considered I am pretty happy with it but no way the N900 is going. And the N9 is expensive way to see what would have been if Nokia would have not been greedy with N900 RAM.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2011-11-07 at 13:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Things that are worse in comparison:
No copy-paste, except for a few text input fields. This is very annoying especially in the browser, where text input is fundamentally broken
Can one install the new Opera Browser to the N9? This, while not addressing all the deficiencies, would seem to at least give you copy/paste, bookmarks management, and a better on screen keyboard on the browser.

Last edited by cddiede; 2011-11-07 at 13:18.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Can one install the new Opera Browser to the N9? This, while not addressing all the deficiencies, would seem to at least give you copy/paste, bookmarks management, and a better on screen keyboard on the browser.
There is an unofficial repackaged version from MeeGo CE:
http://sandst1.wordpress.com/2011/07...for-harmattan/
I'm using it just fine on my N950, don't know about the N9 though. Use at own risk, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
oh, and: should you plan to upload files to a web site from your browser, the n9 is not for you. the harmattan browser doesn't support this advanced feature. too much for one simple gesture.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Argh! Really?!?
No, not really. The exact same Telepathy backend as the n900 is there, but in harmattan this is wrapped up behind single-sign-on 'services'. The jabber backend is there and used for google talk and facebook chat, but there's no UI for generic jabber yet.

You can add it from the command line though. It won't be long before this gets a gui from the community, and support for the same protocols as the n900 had.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
oh, and: should you plan to upload files to a web site from your browser, the n9 is not for you. the harmattan browser doesn't support this advanced feature. too much for one simple gesture.
So what happens on the N9's browser when you try? Like for example when you click the Browse/Upload button to attach files to a composition in a webmail page?

Even the idiot browser in my Playstation 3 can handle this. Although even that "idiot" browser has some version of the flash plugin in it also....

Last edited by cddiede; 2011-11-07 at 19:30.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
No hardware camera shutter button.
Yes, that is pretty annoying. Perhaps we could get the volume rocker to have the top one focus and second one snap the photo sometime? Or is that unrealistic to hope for?

Where are the arrow keys for navigating terminal / text files?
IIRC this will be in PR 1.1, perhaps in Swype, not sure if it was the standard VKB or Swype.

The screen, easily the worst seen on a flagship mobile phone to date.
I actually love the screen much more than any phone Ive had, including the SGS2, simply due to it working well in the sunlight and it being pretty clear and crisp in my use. Course if I lean in about an inch from the display and TRY to find something bad about it im sure i will. But in actual everyday use its pretty damn good.

Lets hope all the issues with the browser (textboxes, copy/paste, popup scrollable lists, uploading, etc) are added in 1.2 at least. Of course there could be an opera or fennec browser coming, I think I read something about that on konttoris blog or somewhere.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
It's worth saying too that firefox mobile works a lot better on the n9 than.it ever did on the n900. It's actually usable. The RAM makes.all the difference.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
So what happens on the N9's browser when you try? Like for example when you click the Browse/Upload button to attach files to a composition in a webmail page?
Nothing. The click is ignored. I doubt this feature will ever be implemented. Nokia will say 'there's an app for that'.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post

There's no Jabber integration in the IM system.

Argh! Really?!?
Jabber IS suported (GTalk == jabber), the only problem is that you cannot configure it in the UI.

I have my jabber account working, see http://doclinux.com/content/how-crea...ber-account-n9 for instructions how to enable it on the command line (You do not need developer mode to enable terminal!).