Poll: Will you buy the Jolla phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Definitely if I have the money and can find somewhere to ship it to Australia

The Following User Says Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Just download the sdk and see for yourself. Linux, qt4, systemd, pulseaudio, ofono, Xorg, python, bash, hardly castrated. By meaningful api's they mean the core is lightweight without bloat. But you can compile whatever you want on it. Desktop mozilla-central compiles okay on it so I can safely assume that your random cli tool will too.
Sounds good. My only source of info was the Jolla Bosses statement.

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I won't buy a Jolla phone until I believe that I can take Jolla seriously as a company, since this is their first device, I will be keeping a close eye on them and see how they handle their devices (updates and all).. If it's Maemo/MeeGo all over again.. Then no thanks.. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I won't buy a Jolla phone until I believe that I can take Jolla seriously as a company, since this is their first device, I will be keeping a close eye on them and see how they handle their devices (updates and all).. If it's Maemo/MeeGo all over again.. Then no thanks.. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..
Exactly my thoughts. I don't want another dead-end phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Specs posted:
http://www.gsmarena.com/jolla_jolla-5457.php

I'm not in a pre-order country, but I think I'm in for one. Stereo speakers clinched it, even if there is no hardware keyboard. I hope MartinK is cooking up a version of Modrana to work on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
Only if there'd be an HW keyboard. I still miss it on my N9, and an 'other half' with a slide out keyboard wouldn't be a bad idea

If there would come such a feature I'd definitely buy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tiempjuuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I don't want another dead-end phone.
This is an entirely reasonable perspective and yet also interesting given the fact that with the standard life cycle of modern smart phones frequently being tied to the duration of the contracts that they may be acquired on and the actual hardware itself (be it specs or capabilities), most people move on after 18-24 months.
Certainly after sales support and updates are important, but what benchmark should we apply to Jolla?
The same as Nokia with the N900 or N9 (the n9 in my opinion, despite the "wontfix"es recieved a good level of support and many more updates than most Android handsets), the same as most android OEM's?
In the app-centric marketplace that the mobile space has become, I will be interested to see how Jolla manage the development and expansion of native apps. Having a viable and functional Dalvik layer is all good as a stop gap, but can't guarantee 100% integration with the core OS and shouldn't be seen as a replacement for development.

BB have invested a fortune recruiting and assisting devs and it has worked, certainly with regarding to rapidly building the numbers in their app store. Jolla has neither the funds or capability to do this and will have to rely on piggybacking on to existing conferences and hacker activities.
With Qt Developer Days not until the last quarter of the year, I expect to see a high level of interest there, but little time
beyond that, before christmas to build and deploy through a QA process to an app store/market front before release.
they'll certainly need more applications to support launch that what they have HERE right now

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
The same as Nokia with the N900 or N9 (the n9 in my opinion, despite the "wontfix"es recieved a good level of support and many more updates than most Android handsets), the same as most android OEM's?
II don't think of "dead end" in terms of a single device, more the manufacturer supported ecosystem around the device. I went from the N900 to an S3 as there clearly wasn't going to be anything to follow the N9.
Jolla gives me a way out of the droid he'll, and with the intention that in a few years time there will be something else to upgrade to.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Stereo speakers are a pleasant detail which should have become a standard long ago. Nokia N900 has stereo loudspeaker, for one. N9/50, unfortunately, had non-stereo loudspeaker, at the bottom of the phone. Will Jolla phone have both noise-cancelling microphone and stereo-speakers?..
I would buy Jolla... If I had money for it and need for another phone. Right now:
I use N900 (with CSSU Testing) as mobile phone, camera, map, alarm clock, address book; the screen is heavily scratched, and the battery might have problems, after three years of usage;
my friend had recently got N950 (installed Nemo on it) and doesn't use it much, as phone or otherwise;
another good friend is used to small phones:
first one lost in sand and water, found later not-working, replaced with an identical device bought from the manufacturer;
soon, the new device had microphone problems after a fall, and is now used only as a camera;
an antiquarian [without camera] cellular telephone, dust-proof, water-proof, shock-proof, is in use now; but the charging-port plug has been lost for a long time, so water-proofness should not be put to test.
New device could have a place in our diverse family, but it should have very strong glass, and be shock-proof - be prepared to being used as child's toy:
flying in the air, thrown onto concrete or asphalt (in this regard, the bezel of N900 was very helpful), being buried in sand or floated in sea-lake-bathroom water,
drawn-on with graphite pencils, ballpoint pens, coal, wax pencils, chalk and crayons, wood and stones,
taking high-quality photographs, videos and sound recordings,
tracking geographical location, by any and all means possible,
working as flashlight, and if necessary, as siren,
being virtually impossible to destroy, turn off or lose - and yes, this requirement includes non-removable high-capacity battery.
Preferably, this device would also develop child's musical abilities by offering high-quality loudspeakers and excellent musical software.

About dead-end phones, a Chinese proverb:
Try to save the dead horse as if it is still alive.
Nothing is impossible.
Do the impossible, for it may truly be possible.

I do not get a mobile device and expect it to be regularly updated. I get a mobile device expecting it to be either a finished product, requiring no updates (I have such a personal digital assistant, gathering dust as a museum piece; fully workable, but it is not needed in these times of mobile computers with cellular radio), or an unfinished product which is extended and updated by the keen community.

Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Specs posted:
http://www.gsmarena.com/jolla_jolla-5457.php

I'm not in a pre-order country, but I think I'm in for one. Stereo speakers clinched it, even if there is no hardware keyboard. I hope MartinK is cooking up a version of Modrana to work on it.
Sure ! It is already working on Nemo Mobile, so making it work on Sailfish should be trivial. Also, thanks to THPs interesting solution, it is possible to make it use Silica & look native, while keeping the GUI code compatible with normal Qt Components used on other platforms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool