I have read several posts in this forum where some people were complaining about some function too weak in the n900, and some other people answering them this device was not supposed to be good at this task.

I am very surprised with this attitude.

Since the n900 has a good hardware to do something, I don't see a reason why it should have a weak software linked to this part of hardware.

For example, about the missing functionnalities for phone calls, some people explain the n900 is a computer, and it does not have to be a good phone.

I think all actual phones are computers, some of them much less powerful than n900, and they can do some things the n900 cannot.
I agree writing software is long and difficult, but that is not a reason for which the n900 SHOULD NOT do something.

The reason for which most people buy this sort of device is the ability to do lots of different things, using a unique small and light device.

My N900 contains a good camera, a good phone, a good computer whit good network capacities, and many other good device parts.

My dream is, all these components could be as well exploited as possible, giving me the choice if I want to install the applications for a task or another.

For example, the IR emitter can give a better result than an expensive multimedia remote. Why such a task should not be possible, only because the n900 can do other things ?

I would like to use my n900 for desktop tasks (printing, scanning, using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse), for geek tasks (nmap, ssh...), for taking good pictures, to make and advanced use of the phone, for playing (bounce + tv out is very impressive), etc.

Let the people choose how they want to live with their n900 and stop saying it is not supposed to bethis or that !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phpman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Don't get mad.. Here's a:

Why we still have these types of thread

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by vietn900 View Post
Why we still have these types of thread
No idea...

Thanks for your well thought out post phpman.

I share many of your sentiments but where it gets tricky is that only Nokia can resolve many of the issues that get talked about in this manner. And they have limited time and budget so have to decide which features to prioritise for any phone that gets released.

The beauty of the N900 is that most of the functionaiity is available to other developers so they can often create apps that plugs the gaps such as fMMS for MMS messaging while we wait and hope that Nokia will fix the obvious shortcomings.