Active Topics

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
From the Ubuntu website:

"Ubuntu has already been adapted to run on chipsets using ARM and Intel x86 architectures, with the core system based around a typical Android Board Support Package (BSP).
..//..
In short, if you already make handsets that run Android, the work needed to adopt Ubuntu for smartphones will be trivial."

I think it would be a bit of a PR disaster for Canonical if their first flagship device was an existing Android handset that had its specs reduced because Ubuntu couldn't cope. Any positive reviews would be drowned out by the crowing of Android fanboys.
Well I'm not really saying that Ubuntu can't be run on premium hardware. I was thinking of the "poor documentation" on the Exynos chip which I have been reading around the interweb. Dunno if that still applies though.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Premium hardware is a tricky term. Jolla consider their phone to be premium but I don't consider my jPhone as premium. I really hope that Ubuntu can be my kind of premium and release a cool phone.

I love the concept of xPC by the way. Thanks for heads up. How would IT work on the Phone if you install Ubuntu or Linux mint...and Im not Talking abort Ubuntu touch.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-01-15 at 21:16.

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
The devil's always in the details ...
No USB support - means no access to hardware reflash,
external keyboard becomes 'difficult'
FLYME is a MEIZU in-house rewrite of Android
in an attempt to make vendor lock-in,
would they do that with Ubuntu as well?

Looks pretty

like a "Greek Mythology" siren

doubt sets in....

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
jPhone
Mods, can we please have that string added to the black list?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Mods, can we please have that string added to the black list?
A blacklist don't solve anything. A better solution would be if jolla came upp with a name. I would be seriously disciplined if canonical released a device named Only Canonical. It's simply unacceptable!

Ubuntu edge was a killer name

Why not jolla edge?

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-01-16 at 11:02.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The first Jolla phone has a name: JP-1301. It may not be very catchy but definitely less annoying than your forced contraption which, by the way, is based on a generic name of a product series rather than an individual product. So "Jolla" can do just fine.

(Sorry for going off-topic. I chose the wrong thread to pick up on it but it is getting increasingly annoying.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The first Jolla phone has a name: JP-1301. It may not be very catchy but definitely less annoying than your forced contraption which, by the way, is based on a generic name of a product series rather than an individual product. So "Jolla" can do just fine.

(Sorry for going off-topic. I chose the wrong thread to pick up on it but it is getting increasingly annoying.)
Hate to break it to you. But JP is short for **hone.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Ubuntu phones arriving in 2014 from Meizu and BQ Readers

Canonical is finally poised to enter the mobile market. After years of teases, promises and demos, the company has locked up the first two manufacturers of Ubuntu phones. Meizu and BQ Readers will be releasing handsets with the Linux-based OS installed on them sometime in 2014. Details about release date, price and specs are still to be determined, but we were told to expect more info at Mobile World Congress (which kicks off this weekend). The list of supporting carriers also remains a mystery, but at least we know that there will be consumer-ready Ubuntu phones on the market before the end of the year. Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical's founder, is keeping things close to his chest, but he did say that two more manufacturers with "household names" should be coming on board in 2015.

The bad news is that neither of these manufacturers has a large presence in US, so the chances of picking up a high-end Ubuntu phone on Verizon in 2014 is pretty slim. But Meizu is well established in China and should help the fledgling OS build visibility, while BQ Readers has a presence in Spain. Shuttleworth said that part of the reason these two particular companies were chosen was because of their "tactical" method for delivering handsets to specific markets with carefully targeted features and specs.

The next big challenge will be luring developers to the ecosystem. Shuttleworth aims to have the top 50 mobile apps on Ubuntu by the end of the year, which is a noble, but ambitious goal. Right now, big names Evernote, LastPass and Grooveshark are already enlisted, but there's still a lot of work to do. Presumably Canonical still has a few cards up its sleeve for MWC, so stay tuned.

Source

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Great news. Asian only? Europe only? I really hope they go with the Edge design but with a bigger screen.

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-02-19 at 18:54.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Great news. Asian only? Europe only? I really hope they go with the Edge design but with a bigger screen.
Seems to confirm the MX3 rumour I posted about last month. The spec of that is enough to make me want it (unfortunately I think the battery is not removeable).

Tags
linuxrules2013