Active Topics

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
I remember this cool feature in my N8: let's say I was listening to music, then suddenly I get a call. The music pauses. Then, while being on a call, I can minimize the call window, and go back to music player and resume the music WHILE the call is still going on. Due to this, BOTH you and the other person can listen to the music through the receiver.. and it was high quality sound. I found this feature really amazing.

So far, I didn't see any other device do it, apart from my N8 and old N82. Which means.. Our old Symbian phones could do it.

Even the N9 can't do such a thing. Damn.

But yeah, this doesn't define true multitasking completely.. probably partly for one particular thing only. I just thought it was a cool feature, that's all.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by imo View Post
Where you can play audio and videos together other than maemo5 through media player and km player ,two songs for example ,together ??? i really dont know about n9 but does it happen on any other device other than N900 ?
Don't know.
I can watching the video and browsing the web at the same time at my galaxy note. My n900 can't do that, which to me is better than playing one song while watching video.

Always these same trade offs. Where is the device with everything

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-02 at 21:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
I reckon it actually can, just not with the standard software. But perhaps, with some gstreamer-magic, it can be done. It's not that the device won't let you, but at most that it simply doesn't work.

@Dave999 I don't see the point of that. At any instant of time, you're either browsing or watching a video. No one does BOTH at the SAME time.

Unless your eyes are like this: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/fo...ach=7152;image

Then maybe, yeah :P

Last edited by flopjoke; 2012-10-02 at 22:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
I remember this cool feature in my N8: let's say I was listening to music, then suddenly I get a call. The music pauses. Then, while being on a call, I can minimize the call window, and go back to music player and resume the music WHILE the call is still going on. Due to this, BOTH you and the other person can listen to the music through the receiver.. and it was high quality sound. I found this feature really amazing.

So far, I didn't see any other device do it, apart from my N8 and old N82. Which means.. Our old Symbian phones could do it.

But yeah, this doesn't define true multitasking completely.. probably partly for one particular thing only. I just thought it was a cool feature, that's all.
Not sure if it has a lot to do with multitasking, on meamo you'd just need to define sink(s) for the audio to get that. Unless it kills mic in such config, but audio 'controls' (yeah, not really controls, but you have the option to control how audio is/goes unlike in symbian or other os) are totally open. Check alsa-policy thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83447).

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I reckon it actually can, just not with the standard software. But perhaps, with some gstreamer-magic, it can be done. It's not that the device won't let you, but at most that it simply doesn't work.
Yes, I figured that as well.. because when you're on a call and try to play music, it gives a pop-up saying "Can't play the song." So it looks like they prevented this feature on purpose. Which means that it's very much possible.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Not sure if it has a lot to do with multitasking, on meamo you'd just need to define sink(s) for the audio to get that.
Yup, that pretty much sumps up the whole "multi-tasking" argument. In other devices.. you have to rely on the manufacturer or OS provider to come up with a "new" feature that allows "multitasking" so to speak.. where as in an open-source community, most likely we can just do it ourselves. In other words: Impossible is nothing here.

Originally Posted by imo View Post
Where you can play audio and videos together other than maemo5 through media player and km player ,two songs for example ,together ???
s/Where/Why/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think you've stumbled upon a potential annoyance where you can override the pause feature of music on your Symbian based phone and called it multi-tasking. That's still task switching in my personal book but with an override of a control that's meant to stop media from playing.

A bunch of specialized apps that float above the main OS isn't really multi-tasking in my book. It's attempting to be desktop multi-tasking, which I'd love, but in a mobile OS, those apps are still clunky. And I own Overskreen Browser on my Android tablets.

I think we're still way away from true multi-tasking, and after much thought, the N900 got it mostly right since it didn't just halt the apps in the background - they could keep going, all but music, whereas other operating systems seem to halt the background apps in a state.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Most of you seem to fail to understand WHY iOS and Android enforce a very strict control over what runs in the background.

Just search this forum for misterious battery drains on the N900 and N9. There is a tradeoff here, they restricted background processes (you CAN run bakcground tasks like downloads/uploads, music player, anything), so that amateur programmers creating bad apps don't waste battery power.

On Maemo, it was easy for a badly written app to consume all the battery easily, because it could run in the background without any safeguards.