Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Why does every Linux tablet fail?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Same reason why "Year of the Linux Desktop" has yet to happen... I blame the users.

That's yet to be seen if it has failed or not, remember, it has not been delivered / been available yet

Seeing it getting awards even before it got released, if jolla does not f*ck it up this time, we might be in for a show*crosses fingers*

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2015-11-18 at 20:32.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Not just tablets. Any consumer product. With the exception of embedded products where Linux is well hidden from view (Android falls into that category).

I also sometimes wonder about that. I do not pretend to have the answer but I have a few ideas. Mayme it's a combination of factors, maybe something completely different.

Here are my 2c:
  • Fragmentation. There is one Windows, one Mac OS, one iOS, one Android... you get the idea. They all have version variants but they are still one entity. OTOH, there is no such thing as Linux, when you think about it. There are at least 20 of them, usually mutually incompatible. That is not a good start.
  • Lack of support. I know, I know. You are going to burn me alive for saying that. Community support and all that jazz. But that is exactly the problem. Community support is getting better but until recently, the answer to everything was, "recompile the kernel". Which brings me to...
  • No single entity to turn to and no liability. When you have a problem with your Mac, you go to Apple. When you have a problem with your Linux tablet, you go to... err... where? The community mentioned above?
  • Lack of consumer oriented applications. There are a lot of great applications for Linux. All of them written by geeks for geeks. All kinds of servers, for example. Or utilities. But no groupware. No good video editor. (There are about 10. I tried them all and they all suck.) Heck, there is not even a good IDE for programming in C. You are expected to use VI, like we are stuck in 1970s. There is an Office suite but it is light years behind MS Office and is fragmented (see point 1).
  • No marketing. With no one to make money on it, no one is going to try very hard to sell it. Which means no hype. It may be fantastic but it will not sell itself.

There are other issues too but even the short list above is enough to conclude what I think the real problem is. For a product to become successful, it has to be, well, a product. A product has someone standing behind it. Someone making it for profit. Linux is not a product. So trying to sell a Linux tablet will inevitably fail.

The solution? Do not sell a Linux tablet. Sell a tablet. In the worst case, sell a Linux tablet. Do not put the emphasis on the OS. Make it so that the OS does not matter. Focus on the user, not the boring technical stuff.

I always cheer up when I see a new Linux-based consumer product. 5-8 years ago it was netbooks. Today we still have Chromebooks. And the approach was/is about right. Do not try to impress the user telling him it runs Linux. It Does Not Matter. Sell it as a device that can do X, Y and Z.

Does Jolla's tablet fill me with the same level of excitement? Yes and no. Yes, it is yet another attempt at a Linux based consumer product. No because there is too much emphasis on the "Linux" part. Which is kind of hard to avoid when the company's main focus is the OS. Does it have a chance? No. Not the Jolla tablet. Once the IGG units are all delivered, that's it. No more Jolla tablets. But there may be a future for Sailfish. It has a potential. It just has to be picked up by someone who is willing to embed it into their product and sell that product. Two years ago I thought the Jolla phone was such a product. It flopped because there was too much emphasis on the Sailfish part and not enough on the phone part. Sailfish may have a chance if Jolla finds a partner who will reverse that. And then stand well back and not try to get in the way.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-11-19 at 10:20. Reason: Spelling (damn on-screen keyboards)

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Sometimes to resolve the problem you need to acknowledge it. Blame everything and everyone around except yourself is nice way for excuses.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not just tablets. Any consumer product. With the exception of embedded products where Linux is well hidden from view (Android falls into that category).
I believe the mindset is somehow skewed. People see linux as an arrival, a goal; but in reality, its a kernel; a tool to build upon.

real_end_user_product=linux + something

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Android
That is a valid one, although I deny and utterly refuse to believe it to be the only one

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
real_end_user_product=linux + something
Thank you. You summarized in a few words what took me a whole page.
People, ignore my post. ^This is much better.

The "something"-part is usually the one which seems to alienate hc-linux fans. As it's not necessary FOSS and that seems to be an ideological obstacle of colossal magnitude.

As far as shareholders are concerned, I find it hard to believe they really expected Jolla to be profitable in 2015 as it takes either long time or huge pile of cash to implement all required feats and it takes even longer time to break through to markets even with polished products. Back in days Android devices were usually cheaper, not so polished or premium and not high quality products but in time it became to dominate (mainly because iOS is Apple only and Symbian was...well, Symbian). Majority of manufacturers create huge losses on Android based devices though...

[speculation]However, it may be that there has been a collision with ideology and major shareholders on whenever Sailfish OS should be FOSS. Which would be a sensible reason for certain people to leave, if the idea of openness and whatever-nice-sounding-but-not-necessarily-profitabe-stuff doesn't meet the demands of shareholders. Another explanation may be that they simple grew tired on startup, living in uncertanity and stress from one round of funding to another. I know I wouldn't do it if I didn't have my finances secured so that it wouldn't matter if I was unemployed or not... What is certain is that things have progressed slower than Jolla has anticipated and failure with the Tablet is especially bad, so they need to change in order to survive (and I'm not speaking about openness-stuf...)[/speculation]

Was I negative enough this time?

News from this morning...

http://www.aamulehti.fi/Kotimaa/1195...mautetaan.html

Half of staff will be on forced leave (temporary halt in jobs and salaries as an alternative to layoffs) because of financial troubles. Doesn't look good.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund