Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
You can't "do the tutorial" then, but I assume that if you know how to launch your own chroot and Xephyr then you will be able to adapt the tutorial to your setup!

As I said it can be scripted up certainly if it proves to be worthwhile. I even remember seeing a script here in the past that returned the Xephyr window id.

Currently though, I am looking for feedback and criticism more than anything else.
Hi JavisPedro.

I try found the "Xephyr" but i no see it any place.

Can show please the image or how i search the "Xephyr"?
I try with 2 terminals harmmatans and with terminal LDXE but nothing :S.
Thank

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by RafaelVlmendes View Post
Hi JavisPedro.

I try found the "Xephyr" but i no see it any place.
Do it via SSH, and by the way that should be run _outside the chroot_.

At the moment I'd prefer to debug and get feedback about xmim at the moment, not think about how you can do it wihout SSH and on your weird setup (why are you not using -fullscreen for example?).

Do it via SSH, and by the way that should be run _outside the chroot_.

At the moment I'd prefer to debug and get feedback about xmim at the moment, not think about how you can do it wihout SSH and on your weird setup (why are you not using -fullscreen for example?).
Hi Javis
Else. I emule the chroot and run the debian LDXE. I no user full scrren because i no know the command.
I user SSVNC and NetView to SSH.
Please can u show with the print image a example how search the blessed "xerphyr"
thank

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Currently it is very hard to set up, so not for the faint of heart. It can be scripted up if it proves to be something that is worthwhile for the average chroot user.
The MeeGo keyboard works on LXDE ! Fantastic. More than worthwhile because there any many Debian softwares not available on MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan (office editors, vnc client, etc).

1. After booting Easy Debian, you will first need to get the window ID of the _Xephyr_ window. This can be done from the terminal that is outside of Easy Debian. Just run xwininfo and tap once on Xephyr. xwininfo will print something like:
Code:
xwininfo: Window id: 0x4200002 "Xephyr on :1 ( ... )"
Here, 0x4200002 is the window id.
My suggestion is to use "wmctrl -l" instead of "xwininfo" because the later needs to tap the screen and if you have a terminal window the swipe counts as a tap. So using :
Code:
[root@chroot: ~]xephwm &
[root@chroot: ~]wmctrl -l
from inside Debian root opens the LXDE (with Xephyr server) and gives the window id of LXDE Xephyr.

2. Now you need to start xmim (I hope you installed the above .deb by now!). Run:
Code:
xmimd -d :1 -x 0x4200002 -v
Replace 0x4200002 with the xephyr window id you got in the above step.
This command can be run as user on MeeGo terminal.

3. Now get into the terminal inside the chroot. You have to set a few environment variables:
Code:
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export XMODIFIERS="@im=xmim"
I hope these definitions can be made automatically.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Here's a first release: http://depot.javispedro.com/nit/harm..._1.0_armel.deb. xmim should be installed in Harmattan, not inside Easy Debian.
My attempt to ease the Javispedro solution for MeeGo vkbd working on Easy Debian @ Nokia N9/N950. To install :

a) install the xmimd deb above in MeeGo;

b) copy the scripts xmimd.sh, xephwm-id.sh and suxephwm-id.sh to /home/user of you Nokia N9/N950;

c) as root on MeeGo, copy "xmimd.sh" to /usr/bin :
$ devel-su
# cd ~user
# chmod 755 xmimd.sh
# cp ~/xmimd.sh /usr/bin

d) inside Debian chroot (as root), copy xephwm-id.sh and suxephwm-id.sh to /usr/bin :
[root@chroot: /] cd ~
[root@chroot: /] chmod 755 xephwm-id.sh suxephwm-id.sh
[root@chroot: /] cp xephwm-id.sh suxephwm-id.sh /usr/bin

To run :

1) following my tests, the part :
3. Now get into the terminal inside the chroot. You have to set a few environment variables:
Code:
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
needs to be done before opening Debian LXDE;

2) then inside Debian chroot (as root, i.e, after typing "debian") :
[root@chroot: /] xephwm-id.sh
or
[root@chroot: /] suxephwm-id.sh

3) in another terminal, this time a MeeGo terminal as user or root :
$ xmimd.sh

4) inside Debian LXDE, open any software and give focus in a text input to see the MeeGo virtual keyboard.

Explanation : xephwm-id.sh / suxephwm-id.sh runs xephwm / suxephwm and get the Xephyr window id saving it in /home/user/.xephyr-debian_id. Then xmimd.sh runs ximimd with the Xephyr window id from this file /home/user/.xephyr-debian_id.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-04-15 at 02:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Code:
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
qole & javispedro : where do you think it is better to place this 2 lines ? In the end (before the qchroot line) of "/bin/debian" ? In the .profile of the user ?

After the 2 exports above being put to run automatically (inside e.g. "/bin/debian"), I have created 2 "icons" : "Debian LXDE" and "Fix LXDE vkbd" (i.e., lxde.desktop and fix-lxde-vkbd.desktop in ~/.local/share/applications, as well the Maemo 5 Easy Debian icons in "~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps").

So to use Easy Debian with MeeGo vkbd it is very simple : open "Debian LXDE" first, then start "Fix LXDE vkbd". Now go back to LXDE and enjoy the MeeGo vkbd.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It seems to me we can do all of this in one script.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
d) inside Debian chroot (as root), copy xephwm-id.sh and suxephwm-id.sh to /usr/bin :
[root@chroot: /] cd ~
[root@chroot: /] chmod 755 xephwm-id.sh suxephwm-id.sh
[root@chroot: /] cp xephwm-id.sh suxephwm-id.sh /usr/bin
qole, what is the recommeded way of installing/copying files to the Easy Debian (mounted) image ?

I would like to create one or two scripts (or even .deb) to ease the installation of Easy Debian with Inception and Javispedro vkbd solution on Nokia N9/N950.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
It seems to me we can do all of this in one script.
Thanks for the suggestion, yeah, it works. The lxde.desktop (using Inception) is simply :
Name=Debian LXDE
Exec=/bin/opensh -c "aegisctl -s; debian suxephwm-id.sh; xmimd.sh"
Icon=/home/user/.local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/deblet.png
Type=Application
Are you planning to release Easy Debian icons (.desktop files) with sudo for Easy Debian with open mode kernel ?

Tags
chroot, debian, harmattan