Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
The FBI Can Remotely Activate The Microphone In Your Android Phone

The Wall Street Journal reports on the amazing capabilities of your smartphone:

The FBI develops some hacking tools internally and purchases others from the private sector. With such technology, the bureau can remotely activate the microphones in phones running Google Inc.’s Android software to record conversations, one former U.S. official said. It can do the same to microphones in laptops without the user knowing, the person said. Google declined to comment.

Court documents and interviews with people involved in the programs provide new details about the hacking tools used by federal agencies, including spyware delivered to computers and phones through email or Web links—techniques more commonly associated with attacks by criminals.

The FBI has been developing hacking tools for more than a decade, but rarely discloses its techniques publicly in legal cases.

Source:
http://disinfo.com/2013/08/the-fbi-c...android-phone/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Am I surprised? No.

The Following User Says Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Serbia
Im lucky using N9

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
If we all work together we can get that app running on nitdroid so N900 users aren't left out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
I'm sure they have it covered in most smart and dumbphones anyway. Did you know that's how they caught Pablo Escobar too? Not much Android phones back then!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
LOL US is a Spy master state. Soon you need to ask the Government to take a piss.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
LOL US is a Spy master state. Soon you need to ask the Government to take a piss.
I am sure I am not the only one who reads on the toilet, and I think it'd be hilarious for the feds to listen in on me taking a crap. But I too have an N9, so am sad I don't have this feature. Another reason why Android is 'better'.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I am sure I am not the only one who reads on the toilet, and I think it'd be hilarious for the feds to listen in on me taking a crap. But I too have an N9, so am sad I don't have this feature. Another reason why Android is 'better'.

slaapliedje
this could be a real blow the fart app business. I really hope the the Feds don't sell the real time recordings. That could seriously kill the fake fart apps.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...