Active Topics

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany
Hi lads and gals,

I have read several threads, but could not find a match to my problem.

I am trying to connect to my SMC 2804WBR Router using my N800. The WLAN connection works without any problem when no security or WEP is used. However, when I set the security to WPA, I always get a "Network connection error.".

Before I finish, I'd like the clarify some points:
- I use TKIP pre-shared key with a passphrase and tried many keys of various lengths.
- ESSID is visible.
- Tried several frequencies.
- Using MAC filter, which works fine with WEP.
- Tried combinations like WEP/WPA, WPA only, 11b, 11g, or 11b/g.
- My notebook works fine with the same WPA settings.
- I try not less than half an hour long each time to connect by answering the annoying "Try again?" dialog box with "OK", but I always get the same error again and again.
- Here is the weirdest thing: The device (mostly) manages to connect if I leave it on standby for about 1 day. I come back and see that my new friend is online. Once it is online, no more connection problems occur.

Is there anyone out there having the same problem? Does anyone have a clue about how to solve this? I have the feeling, changing the router would solve it, but this is the last thing I want to do...

Thanks in advance!

BR,
astro

Am I really the only one in the world having this problem?

By the way, I have flashed the device with the newest OS and it does not solve the issue either...

BR,
astro

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Have you got the latest firmware installed on your SMC router? Are there any other known problems with your router (for example, is WPA implemented correctly in the router or does it have known issues?) Have you entered the passphrase correctly into the N800 (obvious I know but you'd be surprised...)

Failing that, try raising a bug in Bugzilla and see if anyone responds from Nokia.

And if that fails (and you can't live with WEP security, which is understandable) buy a Linksys router (my WRT54GS is flawless).

Hi Milhouse,

you hit the bull's eye, man! Last time I looked, I was not able to find any firmware on SMC's website. Now I found and flashed the newest firmware.

=>Problem solved, N800 connects in seconds.

Many thanks,
astro

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Chorley UK
Hey guys, really sorry to bump up such an old thread but I search & found this which is basically the same problem I'm having.
Im using a linksys WRT150N router, tried everything mentioned in this thread except flashing the router - because I'm already on the latest firmware v1.01.9.

The only other option i seem to have is flashing the router with DD-WRT firmware which is a custom 3rd party bit of software.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I just think its quite a drastic thing to do & I have no guarantee it will fix my issues, it was an official firmware upgrade that the guy above me did to fix his prob.
ANy advice to consider before I take the plunge & void my routers warranty? I only got my N800 yesterday & it worked fine with my router last night, as did the OP's when he had the problem. it just wont reconnect now!
Halp!

Well, DD-WRT is nice in its own right just for the functionality it provides.

I've been looking into this sort of problem lately, as my N800 is exhibiting similar behaviour. Some people have reported success when they set the Power Saving setting for the connection to intermediate (it's under the Advanced settings when you're in the connection setup).

Unfortunately, in my case it hasn't helped.