Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Hi There,

I'm a linux developer and new to Maemo5. Will receive my N900, hopefully.

I've successful installed the SDK and have some fun.

Maybe a dump question. Do we have an option to install
a development environment on the N900 itself ?

So i am able to compile software on the device itself ?

Best regards

Sacha

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
There's always python...

I'd be interested in developing that way. The dev environment takes an awful lot of space, though.

I develop for Mer, on a smartq5 with Mer installed, so it might be possible for Maemo as well. I think the easiest way to start is to create a large enough ext2/3 filesystem on the device (can even be done in a loop device on the FAT32 partition), copy a completely installed SDK filesystem from there, and chrooting into it. There might be some work needed for getting the arm binaries of the compiler.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
There's always python...

I'd be interested in developing that way. The dev environment takes an awful lot of space, though.
I assume vi is available, right. Lots of things could be done with straight Python code, especially if there is a port of the ncurses package. But, yes, for GUI development you are better off doing that on the desktop. Could be fun though.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
There are people who develop right on the device itself - apparently they had a long commute.

vi is available and if you don't like python you have perl on the device as well.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
And if you write shell scripts, like me, developing on-device is pretty much a requirement!

I've successfully packaged the fremantle version of my easy-chroot package on-device using py2deb, and then uploaded to the autobuilder on-device, too!

I use leafpad for text file editing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
And if you write shell scripts, like me, developing on-device is pretty much a requirement!

I've successfully packaged the fremantle version of my easy-chroot package on-device using py2deb, and then uploaded to the autobuilder on-device, too!

I use leafpad for text file editing.
leafpad you sissy, learn vi, it will take you 15 minutes and youll always have an editor on any uinix system, or at least 99% of them
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, please see sbrsh documentation.

On diablo you can install gcc and a few other tools too, so c and c++ development are also probably quite do-able for on-n900 hacking.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
<religious flame>

Someone has just uploaded qemacs as well to extras-devel, so you don't have to learn that crazy modal editor vi. :P

</religious flame>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post: