Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
So, while playing a few weeks with my rediscovered old N9 I can't resist and ordered a Jolla - just to see what the guys made out of meego :-) - what the hell ...

... so I'll have to face even more nights with nearly no sleep and less time for other things - but I'm so excited ;-) - bloody geek I am ...

So soon 4 devices will be on my desktop (N9, Lumia 620, BB Z10, Jolla - ah and don't forget about the old camera monster - N8 in the drawer - or actually in the pocket of my girlfriend ;-) - and a friend offered me his old N900 which I sold him years ago ... ) let's see which two (one for business one for privat use) will survive - at least one must run android apps, because my companies time-clock-app is android based ...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Nokia N9 and Nokia N900: apkenv.
BB, Jolla: built-in by company.
Others: unlikely.

Best wishes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Nokia N9 and Nokia N900: apkenv.
BB, Jolla: built-in by company.
Others: unlikely.

Best wishes.
With apkenv on the N9 it doesn't work ... Never tried it on the n900
Works on the BB - will see if it does on the Jolla

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
So after a week some thoughts ...

What I like:
- Very clean UI - even better than WP
- thinking things different - not another clone
- great community
- not so bad hardware (for 249,- ...)
- pull down menues - already miss them on other OS
- freedom of choice - it comes with nothing but the OS and I choos what to install - even basic apps - that's really cool
- ambiances
- open linux basis - easy dev mode - terminal - ...
- geeky ;-)

What I like a bit less ...
- bug in calendar app - add one day to every whole-day- appointment for EAS calendars :-( - need the one from my employer and need to know when it ends - because the appointment are sometimes applied by a secretary or by my boss ... please Jolla fix that ...
- no consistence in the UI - sometimes you have to swipe left, sometimes pulldown, sometimes just a tip ... you can learn how to do it in every app or submenu but it shoul be more consistent to attract new users (not the geeks, the normal ones ;-) )
- no state of the art apps (Facebook, Skype, Evernote, ... ) I know there are some alternatives and I also know that this is not the fault of Jolla ... but if Sailfish should be a success, the are needed - or an implementation in the OS like in Meego or BB10 - don't know how much BB or Nokia paid for that ..
- the lock-screen :-( - what is this for? To show my wallpaper? For any usefull Information I have to pull another site - so it's mostly useless - I really want to see notifications like on my N9 - that's usefull ;-)
- the events-screen - it's not so useless as the lock-screen, but the information provided is still negligible - want my next calendar-events, weather forecast, rss feeds, ... - all like on the N9

What I really want is a message hub like on BB10 (or the r.i.p. WebOS) all in one view - shouldn't be that hard ti implement as there is already a site when swipe to the right (and then a step to the left.left.leeeeft ;-) ) the ambience swither would be enough on one side so ....

Conclusion:
For an 1.x OS this is really a great one. (Anyone remembers the first Android, the first iOS with no app implementation, the first Symbian or things like Bada ;-) ) ...

Hey Jolla, thank you for establishing a whole new, community based and flexible and (mostly) open OS for mobile devices - I'm willing to support you and buy your products (if I can efford them) - please keep on providing linux based software for an open-minded Community

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks for the great summary. That pretty much sums up my sentiments almost spot-on.

(With only one exception. I absolutely detest merging all my messages in one "hub". An SMS is an SMS, an IM is an IM and an email is an email. That's why I don't like tbe Jolla's email clinet, it puts all my eggs (new, unread emails) in one basket. The whole point of having 7 different email accounts is separation, I do not want my TMO notifications, emails from relatives and business emails grouped together.)

But be careful! Although I and many others agree with you about the lock screen, you will soon find a very strong and loud opposition claiming that it is the best thing ever invented in the history of mobile computing

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
. I absolutely detest merging all my messages in one "hub". An SMS is an SMS, an IM is an IM and an email is an email.
i agree - that's why you can choose what you want to see in the hub on BB10 - that is the freedom to configure the hub on your needs ...

I dislike many things about BB10 but the hub and it's workflow is amazing and definitely worth to have a second look at ;-) o

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
- no consistence in the UI - sometimes you have to swipe left, sometimes pulldown, sometimes just a tip ... you can learn how to do it in every app or submenu but it shoul be more consistent to attract new users (not the geeks, the normal ones ;-) )
I don't really get this one, could you elaborate on it? To me the UI is very consistent:
- swipe from the side in an app returns to the home screen
- swipe from the bottom anywhere shows the events screen
- swipe from the top closes the app (why is there still no option to make this just immediately lock the screen instead of having to first go to to the home screen)
- if there is a pulley menu, pulling down opens it (or pulling up, depending on where the indicator(s) are)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I absolutely detest merging all my messages in one "hub".
Oh no! That's the best thing! Of course e-mails should not be in the same place as SMS and IM as they're usually much, much longer than the average SMS or IM message, but SMS and IM in the same place is wonderful. They're still the same people you're talking to, and it's ridiculous to need 10 apps opened at the same time if you have contacts on 10 different services. (Imagine having to do that with the current auto-closing behaviour!)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by some people
Unified messaging in one UI is bad
Originally Posted by some other people
Unified messaging in one UI is good
So what lesson should we all collectively as a society learn? Everything should be configurable to the end user as much as possible.

Lower-down components should be built in a flexible manner, that allow varying front-ends, and front-ends should themselves be rather flexible/configurable, and easy to exchange for other front-ends.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Oh no! That's the best thing! Of course e-mails should not be in the same place as SMS and IM as they're usually much, much longer than the average SMS or IM message, but SMS and IM in the same place is wonderful. They're still the same people you're talking to, and it's ridiculous to need 10 apps opened at the same time if you have contacts on 10 different services. (Imagine having to do that with the current auto-closing behaviour!)
Depends on your PoV. For me, the size is only one aspect, and not even the most important one:
  • SMS, IM - short; phone, email, MMS - long
  • SMS, MMS, IM, phone - receive instantly; email - receive as and when
  • IM, phone - respond immediately; SMS, MMS email - respond at your leisure (or not at all)
  • SMS, MMS, email - content saved for future reference; IM - content kept but out of my control (depends on which IM service of course); phone - content lost unless call recording in place
  • Phone - voice only; SMS, IM - text only; MMS, email - multimedia content
  • Phone, SMS, MMS - free to receive; IM, email - may cost money to receive depending on your contract and location (3G or WiFi etc)
  • Phone - expensive to make; SMS - free to send; MMS - costs money to send; IM, email - cost to send depends on plan and location

No two tick all the boxes in one group and none in the other so for me, the are all different. And that's even before we start talking about the logical separation, such as for different email accounts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, sailfish os